The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas

jvdijke's review against another edition

emotional inspiring tense medium-paced

acoffeeandagoodbook's review against another edition

challenging emotional medium-paced

alyssatuininga's review

Wonderful story, amazing characters!

jgoins's review

That was fantastic! After seeing a debate about this book in my listservs for YA books, I decided to try the audiobook of this one. I was not disappointed! This was my first foray into an audiobook during my drive time and I think I will keep it up. As a children's librarian, I want to read more books than I have time for in my life. I also like to read adult novels for pleasure. An audiobook in the van gives me an opportunity to read I didn't have before!

This novel is very important. It gives a unique perspective into a police shooting of an unarmed black teen. Starr is his passenger when they are stopped by the police and the only witness to the outcome. Having it read to me by Bahni Turpin was a fantastic experience. Her voices made the book very engaging. I felt a strong connection to the characters.

lyssie3857's review against another edition

This book is so important.

storytimesarah's review

She had me at 2pac being the greatest of all time. But seriously, an excellent read. Insight into a mind frame that some people may not be privy to. Definitely suggest for anyone with an open mind.

athene_sionnach's review against another edition

Enlightening and moving. I'm trying to give proper words to it. I read this as a "banned book" challenge, and it breaks my heart that it falls into that category when I think it should be required reading.  I'm white. I grew up in a mostly white small town. Benefits were I never really considered race an issue in any direction.  At the same time, it left me naive to the hardships of the struggles of a lot of poc. I'd get the Hollywood version, but that's it. This gave me insight that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.  Insight that a lot of us need. It was also beautifully written. I didn't have to drag myself through it. I had a hard time putting it down.

garbage_boi's review against another edition

adventurous emotional informative sad tense medium-paced

drink4horror's review

4.5 Stars

aa27266's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective sad fast-paced