Reviews tagging Emotional abuse

Battle Royal, by Lucy Parker

coacklebee's review

funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

God, this book made me so happy. Believable enemies to lovers, no miscommunications or lying, some of the funniest one-liners I've read in years, and a whole slew of characters I want to read whole series about.

There were some confusing moments where I had to go back a couple of paragraphs to figure out what I had missed, but man, I loved the characters and I laughed so hard. This book is a freakin' delight!

caseythereader's review

emotional funny lighthearted reflective slow-paced

kfmcf's review

funny lighthearted reflective slow-paced

This book is an easy, fun read. The characters are likeable (but maybe not loveable) and the plot is decent. I appreciate it being a GBBS homage without being a DIRECT rip of the show (like another book I have read recently). I'm not going to clamor to read this book again, but I am looking forward to the sequel - especially since it follows Pet, arguably one of, if not the most interesting (and possibly only loveable) character in the book.
However, there was one thing about this book I found completely unnecessary (spoiler).

SpoilerWhy does her friend need to be in love with her? It not only makes him completely unlikable (and I am a self-proclaimed sucker for the friends-to-lovers trope, mind you), but it is also in a part of the book with enough conflict that it adds nothing and messes not only with the pacing of the plot of of the FL's character development. Honestly, this part of the book dropped my ranking of it by at least .5 points.

Overall, if you want a light book to take on a week or weekend long getaway (depending on how fast you read), this one does the job.

circe813's review

emotional funny relaxing sad medium-paced

lnzava's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted slow-paced

lnzava's review

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective sad slow-paced

decklededgess's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

trigger warnings: loss of loved ones, child abuse mention, domestic abuse mention, physical harm and violence, cheating and infidelity, harassment and stalking, alcohol mention, sexual content

GOD I LOVED THIS BOOK FOR ME THIS IS PERSONALLY UNMATCHED

I will say there's a good chance I'm playing this up but I haven't read a book that's eaten me alive since the Brown Sisters series so that's really fkn saying something. And even then it's so unlike Talia Hibbert's work. The core of the two main characters' relationship is the fact that they compliemnt each other perfectly in terms of how they give and receive intimacy. This book cradles the gentlest of romances in delicate hands and delivers it to you with a warm blanket and a cup of your favourite beverage in a room bathed in soft lighting and leaves you with a lil peck on the forehead. I swear to GOD I cannot handle how soft this book is.
The third act conflict really did a number on me and I resolutely avoided reading it for a whole week because I was anxious about how it would turn out and whether or not the conflict would allow me to trust in the integrity of their relationship and probable "makeup" but I had nothing to fear becasue this was the IDEAL third act conflict, i.e. no break up only working together and facing the conflict hand in hand. UGHHHHHHHHHHH I might read it again now. I finished it three hours ago. SOB SO GOOD