Life Debt, by Chuck Wendig

l_norris94's review

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful informative mysterious reflective relaxing sad tense fast-paced

Incredible sequel, the aftermath tripling continues and this doesn’t disappoint. Didn’t want to put it down. Any Star Wars fans should want to read this trilogy especially book 2

skylarprimm's review

This book is pure, undiluted Star Wars fun, and I loved it. Having introduced the characters in [b:Aftermath|25131600|Aftermath (Star Wars Aftermath, #1)|Chuck Wendig|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1426620007s/25131600.jpg|44828548], Wendig lets them run wild across a galaxy in turmoil. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll want to know what happens [b:next|27235873|Empire’s End (Star Wars Aftermath, #3)|Chuck Wendig|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1467898787s/27235873.jpg|47282998].

actuallyeeyore's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

liantener's review

La expectativa era muy grande debido al Halcón Milenario en la portada. Muchos pensabamos que Han Solo y Chewbacca, y su esfuerzo por liberar Kashyyyk serían centrales en la historia ... y lo son ... más o menos. En realidad la historia sigue centrada en la piloto rebelde Norra Wexley y su grupo, y en la Almirante Rae Sloane y sus esfuerzos por controlar los restos del Imperio. El rescate del planeta Wookie y Han Solo pasan a ser parte de esta trama.
Pero pasado el desencanto se puede disfrutar. Los personajes creados por Wendig son bastante entretenidos, la historia está bien llevada y de verdad profundiza en los temas y personajes trazados en la primera novela; y la presencia de Han Solo le da un valor extra, aunque no sea suficiente para los fans. Pero no por nada la dedicatoria del autor reza: "Para todos aquellos cuyo corazón salta cada vez que Han Solo aparece en la pantalla o en una página".
Si bien no agrega mucho, resulta entretenida. Espero con gusto la culminación de la historia.

blackbibliophile's review

Just like Aftermath, Aftermath: Life Debt was an action-packed good read from start to finish. The plot is well thought out and the story told from a variety of perspectives. I know others have complained about The interludes, but I rather enjoyed them as they help to provide context to what others in the galaxy are going through during the overarching battle between the Empire and New Republic. Can’t wait to read Aftermath: Empire’s End.

foxclouds's review

After finishing “Aftermath”, I was very hooked with this trilogy and couldn’t wait to continue with “Life Debt”. I did, however, take my time to listen to it as I had other books on the go.

Please, beware of spoilers below as it is book two in the trilogy.

If you read my review of Aftermath, you probably know how much I love Marc Thompson’s narration of this trilogy. He does a superb job of giving each character their voice. Even the secondary characters who appear in the intermissions.

Obviously, Sinjir is still my favourite. I was hoping for a solid love arc for him since Jas got a relationship with Jom (both of whom seem to deny it). Sinjir did get a “boyfriend”, Conder Kyl, but we had maybe one scene with the two of them (and he was never mentioned before that), and then he was mentioned maybe once more - and that was it. Nevertheless, Sinjir is the first gay character in Star Wars franchise, which is both very cool and disappointing (because seriously? No more queer characters? Seriously? None?).

***There was a moment in which Sloan was changing and her assistant Adea was there, and Adea blushed, which made me hope for some feelings between two women, but alas I was disappointed.***

I like Jas. She went through a lot of character development. Which is why I am very sad that I accidentally spoiled myself regarding something that happens in the final book and which would affect her. This is why you do not check Wikipedia for the series you have not finished!

Even Nora got an expected bit of romance. I liked the fact that her relationship with Temmin began to mend, even though I still don’t like Temmin much. He is really both hot-headed and naive. I may not be very fond of Nora, but the things Temmin does and says to her are mean.

Han Solo and Chewbacca’s friendship is the best portrayed in this book. I loved all the action on Kashyyyk - I think that was the strongest part of Life Debt as it both showed Solo’s and Chewie’s characters. And let me tell you - Marc Thompson does a great impersonation of Harrison Ford.

A part of the plot revolves around Imperial Admiral Rae Sloane, and I found myself liking her more and more. She is strong-willed, focused, and tough, not to mention incredibly smart. I enjoy parts of the story with her, even though I do not understand her loyalty to the Empire.

I enjoyed the book overall, but I still had the same issue with Life Debt as I had with Aftermath: some parts of the plot (like a fake betrayal by Jas) were way too flashy and not thoroughly thought through. We get thrust into a scene right in the middle of the action and have to scramble to understand what is going on and why this is important. And then we are fed information through exposition - telling us what had happened before this scene, instead of showing us. And I did not like that.

There were also two instances of audio editing mistakes. In one part of the book, Sloane was told to be alone in the street, but we could hear the voices in the background. And those noises did not change from when she was in the crowd and when she was alone in the street. Another instance was when there was an opera music play, and we are told specifically that it is the music and there are no words. But in the background, we can hear a singer singing, although the words are not distinguishable.

It may sound as if I am nitpicking, but considering how big Star Wars franchise is and how popular it is, they could have done a better job at editing.

Nevertheless, the book was a lot of fun, and even though some of the plot twists were predictable, the narration and the joy of being in the world of Star Wars again made up for it.

ardenruth's review

adventurous tense fast-paced

erychan's review

I didn't know how many stars to give to this book because, maybe, if I didn't expect a book about Han and Chewie I would have read it and rate it under a different light.

It's not a bad book, but to me it doesn't deliver what it promised. The book back cover basically mentions just Han and Chewie on a mission to liberate Kashyyyk (Chewie's home planet) from slavery, but, after the first chapter, it takes more than 200 pages to the reader to be reunited with their favorite smuggler... The first half of the book is very slow and I had to use the audiobook file in order to get through it... Usually it takes me a week max to read a book... It took me almost 3 to finish it. Luckly the second half it's better, but maybe because Han, Leia and Chewie are in it.

I don't think I'm going to read the third one... I will probably read only the parts that interest me: the Han and Leia parts, I would expect them to make an apparition since Leia is about to give birth to Ben... And I'd read about Wedge... I really hope he'll end up with Norra, but a part of me doubt it... :(

The parts I've appreciate are of course the ones about my heroes. Leia was AWESOME as usual and I loved the bits about Han and Chewie too (the reunion and the goodbye above all) but I needed more...

Luke is again MIA as in Claudia Grey's Bloodline... That males me thing in Episode VIII we might get some interesting flashbacks about what went on with him right after Endor.

I miss the old canon and I'm scared we're going to have less and less books about the original trio and that's a pity. :(

I'm giving the book 3 stars because it didn't suck and the parts I was interested in were very good. Norra's crew is also very likable so it wasn't that bad reading about them!

ckanderson's review

This was great. I liked it more than the first Aftermath for sure. 3.5 stars.

mmelibertine's review

I finished Aftermath: Life Debt in two days. I am the slowest reader alive, but I read this thing like the pages were disappearing. There's nuance to the Aftermath series I don't find in the films, a complex and uncomfortable understanding of war and the suffering it brings. The Clone Wars delved deeper into this and I see its reflection in the Aftermath series. PTSD, trauma, survivor's guilt, broken relationships... still it's hopeful. It isn't grimdark. There is love and beauty, friendships and found families forged in difficult times. I needed these books. I needed to see someone understand that even doing the right thing can feel awful and have consequences, but it's still the right thing to do. We're broken, and imperfect, but we can still win. That's a message I can get behind.

In so many ways this book and its predecessor pay clearly loving tribute to the works that came before, but add to them, and bring something entirely new. Mr Bones and Sinjir Rath Velus were instant new faves, and they continue to warm my heart. Seeing Kashyyyk in its struggles, the difficult birthing pains of the New Republic, the complexity of motivations and actions on both sides of the conflict... there's just so much meat here, even outside of the revelations along the way.

In short, absolutely remarkable. Strongly recommended for old fans and new.