Reviews for Pride and Premeditation, by Tirzah Price

betweenthelinesreads's review

adventurous funny mysterious medium-paced

dinomar's review against another edition

I was able to receive an ARC of the audiobook from the publishers through NetGalley, which was super cool

Pride & Prejudice is one of my favorite books so I was really excited to hear about a murder mystery with the same characters.
In this version of the classic Pride & Prejudice, Elizabeth Bennett is a headstrong woman trying to become a solicitor when she hears of a case that may help her get everything she wants. Mr. Bingley has been accused of murdering his brother-in-law. Elizabeth does not believe that he is capable of such a gruesome act, so she offers her services. That is when she meets him for the first time. and Darcy is a headstrong man that is just trying to help out his dear friend. When their paths cross they immediately butt heads. Lizzie just wants to prove that she is just as good as any other solicitor, but Darcy does not want to put the fate of his long-time friend Mr. Bingley in jeopardy.

I thought that the story was really fun and exciting. Because I had already read Pride & Prejudice I was able to guess, which characters would be the villains from pretty early on, but I do not think that knowing what would eventually happen detracted from my enjoyment of the story itself. In fact, I think that in some way my knowledge of the source material helped me enjoy the story more.

aclark6151's review against another edition

3.5/5 - Pride and Premeditation really won me over by the end of the book. I love a good Pride and Prejudice retelling and I tend to always enjoy them. And like most P&P retellings, I had issues with Lizzy when the book started out. Retellings tend to make Lizzy a slightly more extreme version of original Lizzy. Since Lizzy is one of my all-time favorite characters in books I feel like she needs to win me over. And by the end of Pride and Premeditation, this Lizzy had won me over.

I really loved Lizzy's ambition in this retelling. I believe the time-period is around the same time-period as the original book and this Lizzy really just wants to be an attorney and is trying to prove herself to her father so he will hire her for a job at his firm (and of course Collins is there and is just as sucky as every version of him I've ever encountered). She's not afraid to go the extra mile to uncover evidence and to prove that her client is innocent. Lizzy is such a smart strong-willed character, I love it.

This is geared toward a more YA audience and I can imagine that audience really really loving this book (and eventual series) so much. I know I'm going to be looking forward to book two in this series.

*Thank you NetGalley and HarperTeen for the eARC of Pride and Premeditation in exchange for an honest review.

fromjuliereads's review

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

**Thank you to HarperCollins Canada for providing an advanced digital copy in exchange for an honest review.**

WOW! I might struggle for a moment to put into cohesive words just how much I loved this book!! I had a feeling I would enjoy it - Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice mixed with a murder mystery!? Yes, please! I was just blown away with how quickly I devoured this book and how much I really loved it! I laughed out loud, I loved the twists and turns, and of course I adored the characters.

The liberties that Price took with the original telling of P&P worked SO WELL to turn it into a murder mystery. And I liked some of the other small changes that were made to make the story just different enough in little ways - like switching up Charlotte's story, including Fred and Abigail, and changing just a little the backgrounds for Bingley and Darcy. It was so well thought out!
Adding in the backdrop that they are solicitors and barristers at law firms!? Brilliant. It worked so well to lay out the plot and the foundation for why they were all part of this murder mystery, and coincided so nicely with Lizzie's naturally inquisitive nature from the original text.

And of course we got the classic banter and tension, some fantastic scenes between Darcy and Lizzie, and just a great plot overall in my opinion. It helps so much that Price stayed true to the main characters and some of the others as well.
While parts might seem predictable to some, I honestly had so much fun with the twidts and turns the story took me on. I will definitely recommend this to friends who love Austen - especially since well-known quotes are paraphrased so seamlessly in the story!

kelli108's review

I adored this YA mystery spin on Pride & Prejudice! It's clever and witty, and puts a feminist lens on the story with a smart and confident Lizzie. The author easily wove all of these new twists into it, all while retaining the characteristics of the time period. I'd highly recommend this to anyone who loves retellings of P&P or other Jane Austen novels. Thanks to Netgalley and HarperTeen for the advance listener's copy.

librarianryan's review

slow-paced

I have never really been a fan of Pride and Prejudice. Ive seen multiple versions of the movie and loved them, but  I have never made it through the book.  And unfortunately I didn’t make it through this one either.  I really tried, but I just didn’t care.  I like the premise.  Elizabeth bennett wants to be a lawyer and practice with her dad, but she is a lady and lady’s done work.  Mystery abound, but it’s not entertaining enough to the reader/listerner (as I was reading an audiobook) to care enough to finish the story.

laurenlovereads's review

adventurous funny inspiring lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

Thank you to NetGalley and Harper Teen for sending me this ARC in exchange for my honest review.
I loved Pride and Premeditation so much! It was such a fun twist on the classic story of Pride and Prejudice. I loved the murder mystery. I’m not one to usually pick up a YA mystery thriller, but it was well done in my opinion and quite satisfying if you are familiar with the original story.

The writing was easy to follow and witty which I loved. I really love the way Price wrote Elizabeth as such a strong woman seeking to do with her life what she wanted. I loved to see her be a fierce woman in this time period. (Although she does mention at the end how it wouldn’t be until 1922 that women actually would become solicitors.)

I love how Price incorporated some of the original lines from P&P, but then twisted them to be a little more modern. So much fun.

I truly appreciate how the author kept the essence of each character the same as the original. I recently read a retelling/reimagining that was nothing like the original and it really annoyed me. The personalities are largely the same in this one.

The relationship between Darcy and Elizabeth was so wonderful. I love a good “hate to love” (was this the original?) and this one did it justice in my opinion.

Overall, it was fantastic and just a delight to read.

noelledonovan29's review

Many thanks to NetGalley and HarperTeen for a copy of this book! As soon as I read the description, I was intrigued! a classic Jane Austen retold with a twist AND its the first of a series! However, I was still left wanting more. I appreciated the feminist retelling and liberties the author took to write Lizzie on her own terms with respect to the traditional portrayal. I will definitely be sticking around to check out the next installment in the series!

maria123's review

Thank you Netgalley and Harper Audio for an advanced audiobook of Pride and Premeditation.
This was a very fun interpretation of Pride and Prejudice with a murder mystery twist. I liked how the personalities of each character stayed true to its source material while still being unique in its storytelling. It was definitely a slow moving mystery, most the book was spend with Lizzie looking for clues and thinking through the case but overall I really enjoyed the storytelling. This is a great book if you’re looking for something fun, and easy especially if you already know the original story.

jcdavisauthor's review

I'm a sucker for an original idea and Jane Austen's PRIDE & PREJUDICE reimagined as a mystery novel with Lizzie Bennet as the girl detective was too delicious to resist! I wasn't disappointed and while Austen fans will delight in familiar characters and tropes played out in novel ways, even someone who hasn't read Austen can enjoy this fun and engaging mystery. I couldn't put it down!