Reviews for Rubyfruit Jungle, by Rita Mae Brown

emilyeehaw's review against another edition

listen....this is one of those books that i KNOW is beloved by many and held in high regard for being one of the first stories about a lesbian main character getting to be happy.....but this did not work for me. it definitely feels like a product of its time which i can't be too mad at, but i think because i am who i am in 2021, it didn't hit the same as it might have if i were born 15 years earlier and had limited access to LGBT+ books.

i did like our main character, molly, she was unapologetically herself, she was stubborn and determined, and she knew what she wanted. i understand why people who hadn't come out or were figuring out their sexuality would look at molly and be empowered by her.

i did read this book pretty fast so it wasn't a total slough to get through which was nice.

kitnotmarlowe's review

lighthearted medium-paced

1.5

sirin_tugbay's review against another edition

After finishing this one, I went and read a bit more about Rita Mae Brown and the book and it's significance. I get that at the time of publishing, this was a big deal, an accurate portrayal of the lesbian experience. However, reading the book I could not connect to the language, the style. But I'm happy that a colleague gave this to me, wouldn't have otherwise been on my radar.

lesbianmerle's review against another edition

some classics are good actually

casser0l's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

alycia_calvert's review against another edition

challenging funny fast-paced

char_j's review against another edition

I’m somewhat dumbfounded by the number of outstanding responses to this book. I do want to acknowledge that it was written during the 70s and I know that it is considered a classic.That being said, there are many very problematic elements in the story, and on a literary level, I found most of the book to be disappointing.

this book depicts a lesbian as someone who is self righteous, pro-incest, and a rapist. also, while she verbally rejects the repeated claims that she just hasn’t “met the right man,” she repeatedly goes on a date with a man she finds disgusting, and engages with him sexually (if passively) for no apparent reason, which really undermines the point.

from a literary standpoint, this book fell short for me in terms
of characterization. it relied on the retelling of the characters childhood instead of deep character development, and while there were some moments of insight and self reflection, most of the motivation depicted in the book was weak.

I kept waiting for the plot to redeem itself, but it just kept getting worse. maybe it was great in its time, but it’s 2021 and there are much better options for decent representation.

marrowe's review against another edition

esmeestelle's review against another edition

emotional funny fast-paced

cuppacawffee's review against another edition

dark emotional medium-paced