hadas's review against another edition

Interesting, something I feel Jo March might have written. Above the romantic plot, it discusses women's different stereotypes or roles at the time the book was written. It introduces us to a anti-hero of an interesting type, one we can despise but also relates, who takes her fate to her own hands, without regarding too much for those she might hurt.

phenexrose's review

mysterious

kailey_luminouslibro's review against another edition

Chilling and darkly dramatic; perfectly delicious!

jomarch436's review against another edition

It was interesting to read another side of Louisa May Alcott. The stories were pretty suspenseful. However, they were all similar and weren't that interesting to me.

fondofbooks's review against another edition

Behind a Mask is an excellent way to become acquainted with Alcott's racier side. With a hidden identity used for publication (A.M. Barnard) it all fits together nicely in this unique thriller.

Jean Muir is hired to be the Governess to the Coventry house but upon her arrival realize that something is amiss and that Miss Muir is nothing like Nanny Fine. She is very syrupy but yet seduces everyone in the family with her charm. With calculated moves, "introducing" herself as a sweet innocent girl down on her luck, quickly wins the hearts of the gentlemen of the house making all the right connections and begins to weave her web. Can we say welcome to my parlor said the spider to the fly?

From the beginning I knew that there was something fishy going on, and was pretty sure I knew the motive; my suspicions were confirmed in the shape of a letter. There really is something to be said about disclosing a plot in the form of a letter, I think it adds to the dramatic flare, especially here with the ending drawing so near. While Behind a Mask was a pageturner all in its self, I couldn't press my Kindle's "Next Page" button fast enough when reaching the conclusion.

lobstergal's review against another edition

This book reminded me of a mix of "Lady Audley's Secret" and the "Importance of Being Ernest". It was a super quick read. Its nowhere near as good as "Little Women" but it was really great to get to see Alcott step out the writing style that she is typically known for and write something different.

One thing there is a character to refers to his new wife as child and I think that's really weird and I didn't care for it. I know its a different time period but I still think that if you are calling your significant other child maybe she's too young for you.

csd17's review against another edition

Obvious talent. I like her "classics" best but these were admirably diverting.

haley_cat's review

dark mysterious

auntiebee's review

Very interesting, if you've ever read any of Louisa May Alcott's more well known novels- don't expect this to be anything like them!

boredomandwordsofbooks's review

This is a good book, some of the stories are a little hard to understand if you miss a couple of chapters because you're too sick to understand it but still it was good.