li_wvked's review

adventurous dark lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

plottwisterr1's review

Okay so. I was expecting to hate that a lot more than I did.
Obviously, it doesn’t hold a candle to the actual series. The thought is laughable, and I’m sure if you were to ask the authors of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, they would agree wholeheartedly. The beginning of this was cringe-worthy and made me want to bang my head into a wall. Oftentimes they strayed very far from an original characters personality (Harry was absolutely nothing like the Harry we all know and love), the school was nothing like Hogwarts, everyone spoke similarly, and there were no diverse personalities. Everyone felt the same, even our well-loved cast. They missed a huge point that the original franchise is so revered for- unique and quirky characters. There was a lot of forced drama, a lot of poorly portrayed teenage angst, and quite a bit of making characters follow some very thin, very forced logic that made most decisions seem irrational and most situations very unlikely.
But all in all, it was eh.
That is the best word I have.
There were a few okay moments towards the end, to be honest. There were some moments that made me smile. If I hadn't known the true wonder of the first seven books, I would have said: "That was nice". So I'm just throwing it in the middle. It could have been worse. It is fanfiction, after all.

alisazhup's review

adventurous emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

SO. I agree that this read like fanfiction (who said that's a bad thing??? I love fanfiction), that the OG characters were somewhat unlike themselves, and that there were plot holes, but dang it. I, a huge Harry Potter fan, was immersed in the plot, came close to crying in multiple parts, and am happy to consider this canon.
Spoiler I mean, the scene where Harry finally addresses the ways Dumbledore hurt him as a child? Snape getting to choose in advance between life and death, and still choosing sacrifice? I'm happy to know this information. It makes the original books more meaningful to me.

Objectively, was it bad? Pretty much. But if you treat this like a book that was written a long time after the ending of a series, then it has the potential to be enjoyed.

(Plus, I borrowed this book from the library so J.K. Rowling did not receive any of my money)