Abaddon's Gate, by James S.A. Corey

glenng's review against another edition

So good. Almost as good as book 2. Loving this series.

stephenkilpatrick's review against another edition

Enjoyable. The late part of the book seemed to drag a bit despite having a lot of action to it, but it was spot on with the quality of the first two books. Also, I liked how the high sci-fi element to the book didn't delve into some crazy science babble that makes no sense, it was just left sort of undefined, which really made sense in the context that it was delivered.

rosyrays's review against another edition

Every book keeps being better than the last one. Adore this series. Great balance of world-building and characters.

febrvaryfriday's review against another edition

adventurous funny reflective medium-paced

lukecorridor's review against another edition

adventurous tense medium-paced

corinnek's review against another edition

- 4.5/5 stars -

Really loved this installment! I feel that every book improves with its cast of characters. I think the religious angle of this book won't be to everyone's taste but I really enjoyed the philosophical discussions it allowed for. I also really enjoyed Melba's arc - can't wait to see how she fits in to the next book.

timgreenard's review

Picked up significantly towards the end, but overall didn't grip me as much as the previous installment. I really felt the lack of some of the great narrators from the last book.

robynldouglas's review against another edition

A solid middle book that get us to a seriously interesting place.

haldoor's review against another edition

Once again, the writers have made a compelling and fascinating study of mankind and our behaviour in this brilliant ongoing sci-fi saga. A fitting continuation of Jim Holden and the rest of the Rocinante's crew's adventures, along with some new characters to fill out and expand the story.

It was yet another page-turner, especially when they reached the 'gate' and things really began to ratchet up in intensity and danger. I don't want to give any spoilers, but fans of the previous two books will not be disappointed. I look forward to Book 4 very much.

jpv0's review against another edition

Holden was starting to feel like they were all monkeys playing with a microwave. Push a button, a light comes on inside, so it’s a light. Push a different button and stick your hand inside, it burns you, so it’s a weapon. Learn to open and close the door, it’s a place to hide things. Never grasping what it actually did, and maybe not even having the framework necessary to figure it out. No monkey ever reheated a frozen burrito.

In the first book, the protomolecule made zombies. In the second, it made a Venuscomputer and super soldiers. This time around? A wormhole gate to transit hub in what looks to be a pocket universe where the laws of physics are... flexible.

Despite having the most fantastic scifi setting of the series thus far, Abaddon's Gate actually feels like it's more about the people and politics of the Expanse than anything else. It's an interesting divergence from the balance of the first two books, but I think it works.

Characterwise, Holden and crew is back (of course) and continues to see visions of Miller. That's what gets him trouble in the first place.

“If it’s the protomolecule wearing a Miller suit, I think that’s actually creepier.”

We also get a few more human moments and conflict between them, which is good to see them grow and change while everything goes mad around them.

Other than that, we don't get Bobbie or Avasarala which is a bummer. I really liked both of them. Instead, we get overly righteous pastor Anna (who I actually liked) and another Mao (who is a fairly two dimensional baddie throughout the book). Not quite as great as the one off characters we've seen before but so it goes.

Worldbuildingwise, the pocket universe is fascinating. Basically, as a defense system, it can lower the absolute speed objects can move through the bubble, including quickly decelerating ships that are moving too fast. One might imagine that slowing down from normal spacecraft speeds to something far slower might not go well for those inside the ship... It's a bit weird from a physics perspective, but it works from a storytelling perspective.

Finally, the ending. That's going to be a huge change for the Expanse universe. When I started out, I wouldn't have expected such a shift, but now I"m looking forward to it. Onward!

Random side note:

Given that I'm listening to Discworld while reading this:

He had a dusting of short white hair and opaque black glasses. His teeth were yellowed like old ivory, and his smile was gentle and humane. According to the paperwork, his name was Elio Casti, but for some reason the documentary team all called him Cohen.

Heh.