Reviews tagging Addiction

Freshwater, by Akwaeke Emezi

noelpaige's review

dark emotional reflective medium-paced

vanguardens's review

challenging dark emotional reflective medium-paced

“I have lived many lives inside this body. I lived many lives before they put me in this body. I will live many lives when they take me out of it.”

Wow. This book was a powerful read. This is the story of both Ada and Emezi themself. Ada is afflicted with the obangje, spirits that live inside her body but do not necessarily belong. Their birth was careless and harm 'the Ada' throughout the book while also giving her protection. Whether you read this book through the lens of mental illness or a pure focus of spirituality, there is a lot to be gleaned by seeing.

This is not a book for people who cannot delve into the matters of the self and dealing with and healing from trauma. It is written in a lyrical and raw way that you'll need to take breaks from. It is unmistakably heavy, especially given the amount of trauma Ada suffers over her lifetime. But if you have the stomach for it, the journey is worth it.

I loved the writing of this book. It mirrors how I think about both myself and the world at times. Emezi writes things with a pointed tongue, never letting up on subject matter that is important. This book is deeply important to me, as a non-binary person. They write to us so well, they see us so well. We were able to see each character as deeply as Ada and the other-selves could. Ada struggles deeply with humans because she is first and foremost and in-betweener yet she still struggles with seeing and being seen in a deeply human way.

“The worst part of embodiment is being unseen.”

biblioleah's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

this was a beautiful, difficult book. i look forward to rereading it in the future, and seeing what more i can get from the marvelous story.

translove's review

challenging dark slow-paced

this book was a lot and it took me a long time to read the first 110 pages because I had to take long breaks after a bit. but I just read the rest of it, 116 pages, basically in one sitting.

and I really liked it. I have to think more about some things, so I might write a better review later on, but this was such a powerful read and it managed to be so damn real despite it being about Gods.

febeschoemaker's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious tense slow-paced

Beautifully written. Would recommend. It's not for the faint of heart though. It's not a happy book.

gagne's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

Gifted to me by a dear friend, this book is electric with its distinctive cast of personalities and easy exchange between the Old World and the New, reminding readers who become captured by the story of the power of the spiritual staring them in the eyes.