Reviews tagging Vomit

Freshwater, by Akwaeke Emezi

lilymurph's review

dark emotional reflective medium-paced

summerb's review

challenging dark emotional informative mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

laurenleigh's review

challenging dark emotional sad medium-paced

I was already amazed by Akwaeke Emezi after reading The Death of Vivek Oji, but I am now in complete awe after reading Freshwater. Emezi is a transcendent author. This semi-autobiographical novel was definitely dark and hard hitting (message me or check out my review on the StoryGraph for content warnings), but there is also so much life and light to be found here. This book gave me valuable insight into neurodivergence and gender exploration, while also teaching me about Igbo ontology. While western medicine would almost certainly diagnose this main character Ada with some kind of psychosis or bipolar disorder, there is an Igbo concept of “ogbanje,” a kind of malevolent spirit that lives inside certain children. Emezi envisions these spirits (who live inside Ada well past puberty) as inner Gods that have passed over from the other side, living inside their human form. Having these multiple selves certainly had a splintering effect on Ada, causing a lot of pain and struggle. But as they grow up, Ada also finds strength in these versions of themselves, learning and relearning their identity in all its multiplicity. As Ada begins to discover more about their Nigerian and Igbo ancestry, they can begin to see their inner demons in another light. I am SO glad the Queer Lit readathon picked this for the group read!

bookswhitme's review

challenging dark emotional reflective tense medium-paced

biblioleah's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

this was a beautiful, difficult book. i look forward to rereading it in the future, and seeing what more i can get from the marvelous story.

gagne's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

Gifted to me by a dear friend, this book is electric with its distinctive cast of personalities and easy exchange between the Old World and the New, reminding readers who become captured by the story of the power of the spiritual staring them in the eyes.