Magpie Murders, by Anthony Horowitz

miimiisbooks's review against another edition

kelsiemargareta's review against another edition

I’m giving this book three stars because I quite enjoyed the first half of the book, but getting through the second half was a CHORE. And the page numbers were driving me crazy. If you’re going to make it so difficult to get through your book, at least let me be able to easily tell how long I have left in it. By the end, I didn’t even care whether the mystery was solved because I just wanted it to be done. I also was incensed by the fact that Susan was banished from the publishing industry BECAUSE SHE SOLVED A MURDER???? This isn’t one I would recommend.

mila52's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

goldenbeebookshop's review against another edition

Really enjoyed this one! Full review to come.

psalmcat's review against another edition

What fun! This is actually two books inside one cover: the book about the publisher of a book called Magpie Murders, the book itself (minus the final chapter). If you remember fondly reading Agatha Christie books and working out the puzzles therein, you will enjoy this book. If you like your mysteries more modern and meta, you'll enjoy this book. It's a great deal of fun trying to work out all the silly bits whether they be red herrings or actual clues.

Plus, discussions of islands in the Aegean!

402reader's review against another edition

I liked the device of having a book within a book but the ending of relating to the murderer seemed forced and overall the 'wrap-up' of susan explaining seemed lackluster. Her voice was incredibly passive and naive at times for being a middle aged woman happy with being on her own.

jlurgo's review against another edition

I think that whodunnits are just not for me. I was not invested in the story and I was not intrigued enough to try to figure out who did it. It was a perfectly fine book, I just didn’t enjoy it as much as other types of mysteries.

loreofthebooks's review against another edition

I enjoyed this book, but I enjoyed the fictional author's book more than I did the actual mystery in their "real life".

I think that's because I am very much a fan of English countryside murder mysteries. Agatha Christie is one of my favorite mystery writers. And the fictional book held far more interest to me than the other mystery.

And that is why this recieved three stars instead of two. I wish there had been more of the fictional book. I keep harping on that, but it is true! I loved it! Although I did enjoy how the fictional murder mystery tied in with the real mystery. Made it much more contained and interesting. I approve.

I enjoyed the writing as well, I thought it was well done and impressed at how Horowitz managed to use two different styles of writing and actually feel like two different people.

I can understand why the fake murder felt like Midsomer Murders...since Horowitz worked on that show. So...yep.

I did enjoy the book.

lyra_kdm's review

mysterious reflective slow-paced

kimtrucks's review against another edition

Magpie Murders: A solid Christie-esque yarn, although the never-been-edited conceit made it less brisk than it might be.

Frame narrative: Oh goodness, I did not like how this ended at all. 1 - I am not particularly good at this, I should not be able to guess the ending. 2 - how the climax plays out is a particular dislike of mine, both in the nature of the conflict and the way it is resolved.