Reviews tagging 'Death'

The Viscount Who Loved Me, by Julia Quinn

lottselgar's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

very much preferred this to the first book, i liked how the character development wasn’t rushed and how you can see the progression. also i just love anthony bridgerton so..

roadesntoades's review against another edition

emotional funny sad medium-paced

claire_fitzgibbon13's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted sad fast-paced

Obviously cause it’s set in the 1800’s sometimes I was like eh that’s a bit sexist but I loved this so much and I don’t know if I love this or the show version more but kate and anthony have just always been so amazing for me to read and watch and I love their chemistry so much.

balibasa's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny reflective sad slow-paced

dianaschmidty's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted sad fast-paced

Netflix took an adorable, funny, angsty, and emotional marriage of inconvenience and made it into an annoying love triangle. Basically, I’m so happy I read the book!

courtneydindin's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

Beautiful book. I am in love with the Bridgerton series and I think the author did a fabulous job in coming up with new and good ideas for each of the Bridgerton children’s love lives. I highly recommend that you read this series, I have to say that so far Anthony’s story is my favourite!

cdoubet's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective sad tense fast-paced

xx_coco's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted slow-paced

hmlongstreet's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted reflective tense medium-paced

After the first book and watching the show (both the first and second season) I was ready to dive into the second book after the first book didn't resonate as well as I'd liked. However, I did thoroughly enjoy this one far more than the first novel, and much more than the season 2 of the show.

I found myself connecting a lot more with the characters (mostly Kate), which I find is really important for me when I read something. I wasn't a big fan of the beginning of the book, it was my first reading an enemies to lovers novel and maybe I was just not used to the main leads outright hating one another. Towards the end, I found it rather enjoyable and I liked the romance and the passion between the two characters.

Again there were a lot of aspects of this novel that were distasteful on the author's part but putting those aside I liked the book enough to give it 4 stars.

savvyrosereads's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

Rating: 5/5 stars

The second book in the Bridgertons series (and the basis for the show’s second season), The Viscount Who Loved Me tells the story of eldest son Anthony—haunted by this loss of his father and believing himself doomed—as he falls in love (against his will) with the witty, snarky, and apparently irresistible Kate Sheffield.

I’m not going to rehash too much of my Bridgerton obsession, because if you’ve been following my Instagram at all you already know about it (and if you’re not following me, you should! We have fun here.) As for Kanthony specifically, I watched all of season two in a day, and read this entire book in just over 12 hours, so safe to say I adore this love story.

Of course, I knew before reading that there were a lot of differences between season two and book two, and to be honest—I can’t decide which I love more. The book is snarkier, definitely lets us see more of Kanthony’s relationship, and gives much more detail on Kate’s fear of storms and Anthony’s feeling of doom, which I appreciated. But the show offers an impeccable slow burn, more supporting cast visibility, and, of course, the incomparable Simone Ashley and Jonathan Bailey and their stunning chemistry.

I’m usually very much a book purist, but (possibly because I watched the show first), I can’t quite feel that way here. Rather, I think the two are halves of the same whole, and I love the book for giving me the extra details I craved, while loving the show for bringing this beautiful relationship to life. In short—watch it, read it, enjoy it, join me in my never-ending love for all things Bridgerton.

Recommended if you like: historical romance; enemies-to-lovers; lots of snark and banter.

CW: Death of a parent; grief; panic/anxiety attacks.