Reviews tagging 'Emotional abuse'

The Viscount Who Loved Me, by Julia Quinn

kirbylover16's review against another edition

dark emotional fast-paced

Definitely more problematic and less realistic than the first book. It's kinda weird that Anthony is the bad guy in the first book and this one (his own story) and I don't feel like he earned his redemption. Kate was a piece of work like Daphin and Simon but they never reached Anthony's level. I do love the two epilogues their so wholesome and sweet. Stand out parts for Colin and Newton.

thebookishjenna's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

It is Anthony's turn to find a wife.
So, we know what is going to happen, that is why we pick up these books. We are in it for the happy end, for the sweet conclusion, for the frustrating plots ultimately bringing characters together.
All that said....Anthony sucks.
Anthony lost his father tragically and that really affected him, but it also serves as justification for his abusive behaviour, especially towards women. He is manipulative and self-centred, super self-righteous, emotionally abusive and has anger issues. I SAID IT.
Kate, however, is a great romance MC, she is quick-witted and charming. Kate is able to understand Anthony due to her own struggles and traumas in her past. She has a deep passion for her family, which apparently Anthony shares, and a lot of fire in her. I think she deserved better if I am being completely honest.
I keep reading and will keep reading because I definitely feel like Shondaland has added huge value and depth to the novels via the Netflix adaptation. Obviously, keeping some of the more problematic parts of the book *looking at you Daphne*. I don't necessarily feel these books are bad, but they aren't good.