Borders, by Thomas King

claudiaslibrarycard's review against another edition

challenging emotional medium-paced

Borders is an excellent middle grades graphic novel with substance. It is the story of an indigenous mother and son going to visit the daughter who has moved away. They have an issue at the border crossing station and end up in limbo. You'll have to read it to discover the problem and how the mother and son view it differently.

This is poignant and realistic, and I think it will prompt you to consider a different point of view and issues with border definitions and the idea of citizenship in our society. Full of heart and lovely illustrations, I highly recommend!

miamollekin's review

emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

bree_klass's review against another edition

Pride is a good thing to have, you know. Laetitia had a lot of pride, and so did my mother. I figured that someday, I’d have it, too.

wonderfully heart-warming, funny, and political. (originally written as short story — unfortunately the graphics don’t add much to the story)

heysoph's review

hopeful informative medium-paced

bexi's review against another edition

reflective fast-paced

emilyyjjean's review

twiinklex's review against another edition

An important and thought-provoking read. I appreciated the message of the book but wish there was more to the story. I would have liked to gotten to know the family better and perhaps more dialogue from the mother.

barbaragorgon's review

This is a sparse and beautiful story, and it's the kind that will appeal to readers of many ages in different ways.

mlinamman's review against another edition

reflective sad fast-paced

annabelle_mackson's review against another edition

A young boy and his mother are forced to remain between the Canadian and United States border when they refuse to state their citizenship as anything other than Blackfoot. His mother is steadfast in her fight for the border patrol to accept their indigenous tribe as proof of citizenship, and her son understands how important this moment is, though he grows tired of sleeping in their car each night. This was an excellent graphic novel and extremely important in today's re-evaluations of the rights of indigenous and first nations people in Canada and the United States.