The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore

thebookrepository's review against another edition

informative sad slow-paced

emilyb_chicago's review against another edition

Very detailed and heavily cited, Radium Girls is very much a factual accounting of the world that these girls lived in. The detail and repetitiveness of girls terrible illnesses are reviewed in great detail and it is very hard to read. If you are looking for fact and detail, then you will love this book.

The first two sections cover different factories but tell essentially the same story. I personally would have preferred them merged. I found the last section the most interesting. It described the evolution of the legal fight between the girl(s) and the companies. The epilogue was well written - a summary with details and very interesting.

I am glad I know this information, but feel like fewer citations and some heavy editing would make this book much more readable. I was one of the very few from my book club who got through the entire book.

kjanie's review against another edition

emotional informative medium-paced

cheryltill's review

But too dry to push through before the library loan expired. Might try again another time

agrinczel's review against another edition

I wanted to rate this higher, but it was just too.dang.long! The info that wasn’t repeated (again & again) was fascinating, and I think the author wanted to tell ALL of the girls’ stories which is respectful, but I think I would have enjoyed an abridged version much better.

The audio version was also difficult to listen to because I could hear the reader swallowing during the pauses - once you hear it once you can't un-hear it :(

hellomalea's review against another edition

informative inspiring sad medium-paced

madds_1395's review against another edition

emotional inspiring sad medium-paced

lysh_'s review against another edition

challenging dark emotional informative reflective sad medium-paced

someextras801's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective sad medium-paced

sanguinaria's review against another edition

dark emotional informative medium-paced

Compelling and humanizing account of the individual women’s lives at the heart of a decades long fight for justice. Moore’s extensive research shows just how systematically the companies involved sought to deceive, distract, and discredit hundreds of women for the sake of profit.