Reviews tagging Emotional abuse

The Unhoneymooners, by Christina Lauren

readingwithtrey's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

SpoilerFirst let me say, this was super cute and overall I enjoyed it. However, I had to get over a few things in order to really like it.

1. It didn’t seem very realistic. Olive running into the CEO of a company that she literally got hired at 5 minutes ago in Maui (they live in Minnesota) was already a stretch. THEN you add in Ethan running into a newly engaged ex on top of that and we’re really grasping at straws here. Let’s say it’s all for the sake of a story. I’ll pretend it’s not unrealistic… but then…

2. Dane. How in the world can one guy be SUCH a tool and there not be any red flags??? I just don’t understand. There’s no way Ami didn’t see any red flags prior to marrying him. Like he was able to put on that much of an act with her? So much so that she was willing to believe him over her own sister? I don’t buy it.

All that aside, when I just pretend those things don’t bother me, the story was cute and I did find myself wanting to keep reading. Also the entire paintball scene commentary was hilarious. I legit laughed out loud.

fromjuliereads's review

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

I was surprisingly pleased with how much I enjoyed this book! I loved the characters, the premise, the way that some of the plot was dealt with - fantastic. Can I just say that Ami and Olive are my heroes!? Anyways, fantastic enemies to lovers with some serious and great topics, and I definitely laughed out loud multiple times. Now, can we get a story about Diego??? (Not sure if this already exists, I haven't looked yet...)

TRIGGER WARNING FOR HP REFERENCES

zoebill96's review

emotional funny hopeful reflective fast-paced

saeruh's review

adventurous emotional hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

Writing was good and I throughly enjoyed this book. Sort of fat positive romance (I personally pictured Olive to be closer to my size than the midsized description given to her) especially since she completely moved on from him when she thought that he judged her based in on her eating preferences. Ethan Thomas is a sexy himbo!
SpoilerHowever hated that he refused to accept Olive telling him that his brother was not a good guy when she had multiple reasons and receipts on Dane but the writing helped me understand he couldn’t until it was right in front of his face due to his faith in his brother.
Honestly not that big of a deal to me, though, simply because I so throughly enjoyed Olive’s character. From her fatal flaw of honesty and all the growth she did over the book, I adored how she found how to stay true to herself. Love the groveling scene in the restaurant. Probably did not need the epilogue part but it was cute.

maggies's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful tense medium-paced

Some of my favorite tropes: fake dating, one bed, enemies to lovers. I was on board with the main characters Olive, Ethan, and Ami right away, and the audiobook performance was really well done. I hadn't realized/remembered before starting the book that Olive and Ami were twins, which makes my second book this month that includes the twin relationship. Funny coincidence!

hazelsnoot's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

melizto's review