Reviews tagging Infidelity

The Unhoneymooners, by Christina Lauren

cozybec's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced

Adorable. I'm so glad I decided to pick up the audiobook for this one! This was my first Christina Lauren book and I loved everything about it. The pacing was perfect, especially considering how much the enemies/rivals section had to build to make the end of the plot believable.

It also had some jaw dropping moments! I wasn't expecting a couple of the twists, and even though they were wild and a little painful, it felt like it helped wrap the story up nicely and succinctly. Olive was a great main character, stubborn and "down on her luck" are two traits I don't see done well with main characters but it meshed perfectly with Ethan's unwavering sarcasm and wit.

Also, I just loved the family aspect to this book. All of the background with Olive's family and their involvement was great. Truly one of my favorite romcoms I've read this year!

I'm only docking a star because I did get extremely frustrated with the miscommunication and third act break up. It makes sense in the narrative and it does what the plot needed it to, but I just wish it had gone in a different direction.

pippamillerxoxo_'s review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted sad medium-paced

flalaw08's review

funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

proudtobeabookaholic's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful reflective fast-paced

Olive and Amy are identical twins, but they couldn't be more different. Olive is unlucky in love, career... well, everything. Amy seems to be the luckiest person alive. Now she's marrying her perfect fiancé and she's managed to finance her dream wedding through different contests online. But when everyone at the wedding reception get food poisoning Olive doesn't. Neither does Ethan, the groom's brother and Olive's nemesis. Since the wedding trip can't be rescheduled Olive and Ethan are convinced to take the trip instead of the newlyweds. Spending 10 days on Hawaii could be worth it, right? It's not like they have to spend all their time together...

Of course things happen that make Olive and Ethan have to pretend a lot more than they initially thought, and it's fun to follow their banter and acting! They really get to know each other and find that their mutual dislike is mostly based on misunderstandings. Sometimes things get very akward and cringeworthy, and I want to pause the audiobook. If I've read the physical book I could have skimmed over those parts, but now I had to "suffer through"!

Olive really grows as a character. She does some soul-searching, which isn't easy. She also follows her gut at a time when neither Amy nor Ethan believe in what she's saying. This makes the book more than just a fluffy rom-com; it has some serious topics too. I don't love "The UnHoneymooners" as much as I did "Love and Other Words", but it was definitely worth my time and I want to read more by this author duo in the future!

josefinemartensson99's review

funny lighthearted fast-paced

jen1804's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

I looooooved this book. I also read it whilst on my own honeymoon which was just so perfect because it meant I was so absorbed into the narrative.
This read is laugh out loud funny, I got some looks from fellow holiday-goers whilst I was reading this and chuckling to myself.
It is well written and the female main character, Olive, is relatable, I enjoyed Olive’s internal thoughts. The banter and teasing relationship created between Olive and Ethan is EVERYTHING. I loved that their back and fourth felt authentic, they were never truly enemies, more like frenemies and I adored their ability to rip into each other from the word go. Sometimes enemies to lovers stories can feel a bit stupid but I can’t explain accurately how much I loved this set up and how it played out.
The book also has wholesome familial content which warmed my heart so much.
Ethan ‘grand gesturing, for the right person’ melted me and I also loved the epilogue, it felt very apt and in keeping with the characters.
Recommended read, particularly if you’re on holiday.
Satisfactory ending? Yes

jaynovara's review against another edition

emotional tense medium-paced

lexslillibrary's review

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

SO GOOD! Seriously I love their relationship and I love Olive and Ami’s family dynamic. Ethan is just so good

onefineelephant's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced

10/10. This book has instantly become one of my top 5 favorite romcoms. It gives such an early 2000s movie romcom feel (think 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, and 10 Things I Hate About You) with all of the animosity, sexual tension, and wacky antics. I love the "I hate you but actually we were perfect for each other all along" trope and man does this book deliver. This book made me laugh, cackle, giggle, cry, and scream - the concoction that creates a perfect book to me. It definitely gives soulmates vibes. Highly recommend.

nehanaomi's review

emotional funny fast-paced

why were they always growling

Spoiler
I really enjoyed the "enemies" to reluctant friends bit of this, love that cheesy shit. I hate Ethan's refusal to believe his brother is not a good guy despite his obviously sketchy behaviour, that he pressured Olive into not telling her twin about his brother's lies, and that he only admitted he was wrong when it was too late.
Spoiler