Reviews tagging Toxic relationship

The Unhoneymooners, by Christina Lauren

reka111's review against another edition

funny inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

First of all, this book wouldn't have received such a bad rating from me if I read it in another life at another glance, but unfortunately i didn't. Who do I want to fool you? I'm not sorry. Indeed earned this book,  to get such a bad rating  from me. I just annoyed myself because it is also labeled as a book for booktok for millions to spit on their saliva, but nothing big. Another book, another disappointment. Maybe I shouldn't look at the readings, this opinion will be a reminder to me, in case I forget that not all is the cover.
———————————–———————
 Olive PISSED ME OF. All in all capital letters. Simply anyway I tried I couldn't like it even though I swear I tried it. It has about as much intellectual level as the name of the berry, but seriously. I had to read almost everything on the page about how perfect Ethan was, how big his muscles were and his black hair. Usually our protagonist stared at these muscles so much that she even forgot the outside world. Of course, it must also be emphasized in at least every second sentence that she is fat anyway.  Isn't she a new FBAA character? Just to have something to zucch at.

Ethan was a bit better, but just as childish. At the age of 34, he was unable to speak to Olive like a normal person. It should be added that he has not spoken to him for TWO years because of a misunderstanding. Because a man wouldn't notice the protagonist's breasts and buttocks. At this point I could have scraped the wall, but it's not over yet. Olive is so damn unlucky it's unbelievable , her sister is the opposite. At the wedding, she won pretty much everything in a raffle - because she was ungodly fortunate obviously - so she had a few thousand dollars. Hold on because the turn is coming; Everyone gets a disease from the buffet and starts vomiting at the same time the two main characters are the exception.

Well, I can't say worse - I know since then I thought I was wrong - so I read on. But what figures out is that they have to go to the honeymoon because only the last names are given. This is the bottom line for Enemies to Lovers Trope but seriously

What happens if they don't go to the (fake) honeymoon? Nothing. There will be no end of the world, no frogs will fall from the sky, you just have to pay back the full amount.

Anyway, they go out and pretend to be married - Olive's boss and Ethan's old annoying ex appear, just to have to have to look husband and wife anyway. Basically, I have nothing wrong with the fake Relationship Trope but here I would have liked to have jumped off a mountain rather than reading it. I haven't read any worse execution in my life. I beg for it was embarrassing for that massage, I can't believe they couldn't say no to it.

The whole book is almost built around to trying to pretend to like each other until a fun evening Ethan got drank and tells her that he likes Olive anyway. After that, they spend an intimate night together, after which they pretend nothing has happened in the world, but after that, no one expects the plot to actually go, as they are busy every 5 minutes to go to bed.

After returning home, they do not tell anyone they are dating, but they are hiding - why it doesn't turn out very well - which then ends up in a drama. It turns out (what a twist) that what her sister's husband Dane (I dont even remember his name) is constantly cheating on and he tries to date with her. After that, no one believes her - neither her sister nor her boyfriend - and even loses her job and Ethan breaks up with her.

Weeks will pass by the end of the truth, and not anyone will bring this strange meeting together, but Ami. Then, of course, both Ethan and who beg for Olive's favor, and even get married in two years. Because these Torres and Thomas marriages have been so successful so far (which I and Dane are Ami for).

However, no one else has to be afraid of a happy ending for her that she has wanted; In addition, a loving boyfriend is a step-child.

The plot was very flat, by the way, and very  slow, hardly anything on the first 100 pages. The jokes were usually baked in the stupidest moments and made little sense.
This was the Unhoneymooners book. It didn't take it off my feet, it didn't break my soul, and I was absolutely not impressed. Booktok books are just that. You suffer with them, you wish you were death, but in the end, your desire for life is stronger and you are hoping that you may not listen to people next time.

jaynovara's review against another edition

emotional tense medium-paced

lexslillibrary's review

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

SO GOOD! Seriously I love their relationship and I love Olive and Ami’s family dynamic. Ethan is just so good

onefineelephant's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced

10/10. This book has instantly become one of my top 5 favorite romcoms. It gives such an early 2000s movie romcom feel (think 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, and 10 Things I Hate About You) with all of the animosity, sexual tension, and wacky antics. I love the "I hate you but actually we were perfect for each other all along" trope and man does this book deliver. This book made me laugh, cackle, giggle, cry, and scream - the concoction that creates a perfect book to me. It definitely gives soulmates vibes. Highly recommend.

gcoulsxn's review

emotional lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

juliaaaaaa's review

emotional funny sad fast-paced

the first half was good, until the part where he didnt believe her, and the worst part is that she forgave him and then they got back together. miss girl is blind if she cant see the red flag.

readingwithtrey's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

SpoilerFirst let me say, this was super cute and overall I enjoyed it. However, I had to get over a few things in order to really like it.

1. It didn’t seem very realistic. Olive running into the CEO of a company that she literally got hired at 5 minutes ago in Maui (they live in Minnesota) was already a stretch. THEN you add in Ethan running into a newly engaged ex on top of that and we’re really grasping at straws here. Let’s say it’s all for the sake of a story. I’ll pretend it’s not unrealistic… but then…

2. Dane. How in the world can one guy be SUCH a tool and there not be any red flags??? I just don’t understand. There’s no way Ami didn’t see any red flags prior to marrying him. Like he was able to put on that much of an act with her? So much so that she was willing to believe him over her own sister? I don’t buy it.

All that aside, when I just pretend those things don’t bother me, the story was cute and I did find myself wanting to keep reading. Also the entire paintball scene commentary was hilarious. I legit laughed out loud.

fromjuliereads's review

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

I was surprisingly pleased with how much I enjoyed this book! I loved the characters, the premise, the way that some of the plot was dealt with - fantastic. Can I just say that Ami and Olive are my heroes!? Anyways, fantastic enemies to lovers with some serious and great topics, and I definitely laughed out loud multiple times. Now, can we get a story about Diego??? (Not sure if this already exists, I haven't looked yet...)

TRIGGER WARNING FOR HP REFERENCES

kaitlinjkim's review

funny hopeful lighthearted sad fast-paced

review coming soon

karina_dreamsinwords's review

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

The Unhoneymooners gives hate to love, sisters husband’s brother, trip to Maui, fake marriage, one bed, forced proximity. Need I say more???

The banter between Ethan and Olive, especially the intentional incorrect name calling, was hilarious! The little things they would do to set the other off was my level of petty. I ate the romance up!

Ami dropped her crown along the way but snatched it back in the end. That SCENE??! You know the one. What an icon✨

This is exactly what I needed in this moment. Full of laughs, familial relationships and heart— I recommend picking it up if you are in need of a good time💘