Reviews tagging Gaslighting

The Unhoneymooners, by Christina Lauren

jen1804's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

I looooooved this book. I also read it whilst on my own honeymoon which was just so perfect because it meant I was so absorbed into the narrative.
This read is laugh out loud funny, I got some looks from fellow holiday-goers whilst I was reading this and chuckling to myself.
It is well written and the female main character, Olive, is relatable, I enjoyed Olive’s internal thoughts. The banter and teasing relationship created between Olive and Ethan is EVERYTHING. I loved that their back and fourth felt authentic, they were never truly enemies, more like frenemies and I adored their ability to rip into each other from the word go. Sometimes enemies to lovers stories can feel a bit stupid but I can’t explain accurately how much I loved this set up and how it played out.
The book also has wholesome familial content which warmed my heart so much.
Ethan ‘grand gesturing, for the right person’ melted me and I also loved the epilogue, it felt very apt and in keeping with the characters.
Recommended read, particularly if you’re on holiday.
Satisfactory ending? Yes

jaynovara's review against another edition

emotional tense medium-paced

onefineelephant's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced

10/10. This book has instantly become one of my top 5 favorite romcoms. It gives such an early 2000s movie romcom feel (think 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, and 10 Things I Hate About You) with all of the animosity, sexual tension, and wacky antics. I love the "I hate you but actually we were perfect for each other all along" trope and man does this book deliver. This book made me laugh, cackle, giggle, cry, and scream - the concoction that creates a perfect book to me. It definitely gives soulmates vibes. Highly recommend.

raeraesbooks's review

Ethan should not have been forgiven so easily, he gaslit and made our girl think she was an awful person for BEING AWARE OF HER SURROUNDINGS

gcoulsxn's review

emotional lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

juliaaaaaa's review

emotional funny sad fast-paced

the first half was good, until the part where he didnt believe her, and the worst part is that she forgave him and then they got back together. miss girl is blind if she cant see the red flag.

readingwithtrey's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

SpoilerFirst let me say, this was super cute and overall I enjoyed it. However, I had to get over a few things in order to really like it.

1. It didn’t seem very realistic. Olive running into the CEO of a company that she literally got hired at 5 minutes ago in Maui (they live in Minnesota) was already a stretch. THEN you add in Ethan running into a newly engaged ex on top of that and we’re really grasping at straws here. Let’s say it’s all for the sake of a story. I’ll pretend it’s not unrealistic… but then…

2. Dane. How in the world can one guy be SUCH a tool and there not be any red flags??? I just don’t understand. There’s no way Ami didn’t see any red flags prior to marrying him. Like he was able to put on that much of an act with her? So much so that she was willing to believe him over her own sister? I don’t buy it.

All that aside, when I just pretend those things don’t bother me, the story was cute and I did find myself wanting to keep reading. Also the entire paintball scene commentary was hilarious. I legit laughed out loud.

honkmoon's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

I really liked this. Very witty, lots of banter, not much spice. Personally though
Spoiler I would not have forgiven Ethan

fromjuliereads's review

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

I was surprisingly pleased with how much I enjoyed this book! I loved the characters, the premise, the way that some of the plot was dealt with - fantastic. Can I just say that Ami and Olive are my heroes!? Anyways, fantastic enemies to lovers with some serious and great topics, and I definitely laughed out loud multiple times. Now, can we get a story about Diego??? (Not sure if this already exists, I haven't looked yet...)

TRIGGER WARNING FOR HP REFERENCES