Shadebloom, by Felicia Davin

janlhill's review

A satisfying ending although it got a bit “and then another twist happened” as we raced to the end.

garibae's review

4.5 stars but I am rounding up because I would die for Ev, Alizhan, and Thiyo.

schneefink's review against another edition

I really liked the Ev&/Thiyo h/c, and seeing yet more different places/cultures, and the characters showing up/showing up again, and Iriyat being scary and completely convinced she is doing the right thing, and the relationship developments. The writing style was still a bit blunt, and spelled out things I did not need spelled out, but it was fine. One major side character's story just cuts off, which makes more sense after I found out that they get their own book, which I look forward to but I still wish it hadn't been so abrupt.

annastarlight's review against another edition

Very satisfying conclusion to a lovely queer fantasy trilogy. I hope the author releases more books set in this world

mx_misfit's review

adventurous emotional reflective medium-paced

ktrecs's review

I love this book, and this series, so much i'm having trouble articulating my thoughts at the moment.
RTC.

ETA 10-14-19. FULL REVIEW HERE.

I cannot say enough good about this series. I can't believe how few people have read them. These books have everything I could ever want in a fantasy series and I was enthralled from start to finish.

There's so much to praise here: the worldbuilding, intricate and expansive; the pacing and plot, filling each book teeming with adventure in a genre that often falls victim to over-serialization; magic that isn't only novel but that expands and deepens our experience of the novel itself - I'm talking, of course, of Thiyo's and Alizhan's gifts, and the way that between them we an inside track to experience characters and cultures in such a whole and holistic way. And I haven't even mentioned the characters - it is so refreshing, so meaningful, to read a story whose pages are filled with such diverse characters, written in such a thoughtful way, and to feel the relationship between them build and flourish - and especially, not to be baited or teased or let down.

These books are a work of art. Please read them.

ryoue's review

adventurous emotional hopeful fast-paced

matth's review

Easily my favorite three books of the year. I loved all the characters. Well done. I have nothing but praise for it.

lautir's review

I came into this series knowing basically nothing about it and now it's easily one of my top trilogies for the year.

Book one set the stage well, exploring the socio-political life of a seaside town, introducing our main antagonists and protagonist. Then books 2 and 3 take us on the tour of the larger world and all the different ways of living that there are in the world before bringing us back to the seaside town for it's the dramatic conclusion.

Davin has crafted a unique world, one that's tide-locked to its sun. Meaning the part of the planet that's facing the sun is always the same. This makes it so there are cities in permanent sunlight and cities in permanent dark.

One of my favourite things Davin does is really flesh out the antagonist's story. In the first book you can find yourself feeling sorry for her, possibly even taking her side. She had redeeming qualities and an admiral goal, but her methods are inexcusable. Davin does a great job of creating a villain with lots of depth as well as one who instills fear.

And the queer rep! We have a central f/f relationship which is why I started the series in the first place. Every letter in LGBT is here and there is even a genderfluid MC in the 2nd book onwards. And then a burgeoning polyship between the MCs and wow it's so nice to see this made explicit and not just hinted at. There is very much a love story at the center of this series but it's also very focused on found families and getting out of abusive relationships.

Overall, some of my fave fantasy I've read in years and I'm excited to see what Davin writes next!

theduchess93's review

I wish I could give this book seven stars out of five. Or a hundred. What an absolutely phenomenal end to my favorite series in years!! Felicia Davin should just write everything from now on because she seems to be one of the few authors who actually follows through with plotlines and does not queerbait in the slightest.