A Gathering of Shadows, by V.E. Schwab

eloise_bradbooks's review against another edition

AAAAAAAH THE CLIFFHANGER !
What can I say ? This author writes some of my favourite books. Every single one of them. V. E. Schwab's books just seem to be exactly what I'm looking for in a story, even when I don't know what I'm looking for. It all just seems perfect.
Okay, A Gathering of Shadows didn't quite reach up to the level of A Darker Shade of Magic in my opinion, probably because of the second-book-in-a-series thing, but it didn't make it any less enjoyable.
The characters are great, the ideas are amazing, and I absolutely adore this vast, complicated and magical world that is still being built throughout these books.
NOW RELEASE THE NEXT ONE.

cmois's review against another edition

I liked this book more than the previous one. New characters, more memorable ones.
It was fun to follow the tale of Lila. My only wish is to explore more of the worlds. I still wonder what is the connection between the four Londons but i guess most of the answers will be in the next book, hopefully it will be as good as this one if not better :)

I can't wait to finish this trilogy :)

kenzwils's review against another edition

A low 3 stars for me. I didn't feel like anything HAPPENED in this book. Yeah, excitement, balls, gifts, whatever. But I felt like it didn't move the series along one bit. I have a feeling that this series could have easily been a duology. We caught little glimpses of the actual important stuff that was happening outside of Red London, but that all could have fit into a prologue if you ask me. Maybe Schwab will surprise us with some crazy tie-in's in the third novel, but I just don't see that happening honestly. This book was a whole lot of waiting for the last 5 pages for something important to actually happen, and I found myself annoyed that I'd read it. I don't know if I'll pick up the 3rd book. I liked the first one well enough, the 2nd one meh, and I just don't think I care at all about how this series ends.

anagasaka's review against another edition

I read the first for a library book club, grabbed the second to see if the characters grew on me…but they didn’t. The London(s) were interesting.

ctpompei's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

beu_94's review against another edition

A. M. A. Z. I. N. G.

pigeonsandals's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense slow-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

noodlebee's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious sad tense fast-paced

lwalker130's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

blevisky's review against another edition

my heart is racing.