A Gathering of Shadows, by V.E. Schwab

neonreads's review against another edition

adventurous emotional tense fast-paced

pbanditp's review against another edition

It has been four months since Delilah parted ways with Kell. She knows she has a hard time when things get comfortable for her so she escaped into the unknown as a privateer. She has been practicing her magic and learning all she can when the ship she is on heads back to (Red) London.
I enjoyed this story more than the original because I knew the characters and the universe. More characters are introduced and entwined while one that was supposed to be gone end up returning. I look forward to the next book

__iyw's review against another edition

what the f

tinavonk's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful medium-paced

maddisreadingcorner's review against another edition

I love this series!! Sooo good, I’m glad I waited until all 3 books were released. Even though I’m clearly incapable of reading like a normal person now, and I don’t even own the third book yet. Either way, when I get it, it’s going to be amazing, no doubt about it.
Not going to lie, the begging was kinda slow which is also why it took me so long to read because I kept putting it down. As much as I love Lila, her passages in the beginning were not super fun for me to read. I want to say in maybe the 150 or 200 page mark the story started to pick up?? I don’t know for sure though because it’s been so long.
What I do know is that when it picked up it was so amazing, I typically don’t love reading action scenes or fighting scenes, they don’t interest me at all, even when I watch movies I kind of zone out when the fighting scenes are on until the characters are all just talking and such again. But the way she wrote the Essen Tasch was really well done, I liked to see the use of the other elements and how a particular someone uses and explores their magic. I’m trying to not be spoilery, but is that even a spoiler??
Anyways, way to end on a damn cliff hanger!! A little disrespectful that she would do that to me, but it’s okay, I’ll forgive her because she brought this story to life in the first place lol

gabycbarnes's review against another edition

tense medium-paced

munderoon's review against another edition

4,5 stars & not sure how to wait for the next book without going insane.

What a book!
"A Gathering of Shadows" was one of my most anticipated books in 2016 - and it did not disappoint! It did have a slow start, much like the first one, but that slow start is totally justified and enjoyable because of V.E. Schwab's writing style. It's such an amazing experience to dive into this carefully written world, scenes that are so vibrant with detail and almost barden like language. I enjoyed that 100%.
Apart from the slow start, this book hold alot of great things. Delilah Bard, being like a female Locke Lamora - a thief, a pirate, a free spirit, unique and (head)strong. Where I didn't like her all too much in the first book, I loved her in this one. Her story was so interesting!
But also the new sets of characters made a great entrance - especially Alucard! <3 Man I think there's no one who wouldn't like him. He's just amazing <3
Same goes for Rhy - the prince is struggling with his faith in this book and he is also still a bit of his flirting, funny self. He is especially loyal to his brother, although he does make him responsible for what happened with him. (not without feeling bad, though). Rhy is one of my favourite characters and it was interesting to see him lose his grip in the light of his love interest. (Which, seriously, could be my new OTP, thank you Ms Schwab!).
That leaves us with Kell. My poor Antari boy. He struggles, too. And for good reasons.
It was only a matter of time until he would be out of patience or, really, just out of tolerance. What people do to him is most of the time logical, in the light of his status in the kingdom, but it isn't fair. Adding that Kell is a character, who bears it all instantly on his shoulders, I can relate to his actions in the end - and in general really. I just hope people will come to appreciate him more in the third book.
As for the plot: a magic tournament like the "Essen Tasch" is always something to get me reading like there's no tomorrow - and it had so many interesting facts, like the globes with the elements and the choosing of the banners. It created an amazing atmosphere and was almost the climax (apart from the cliffhanger, of course).
As for that cliffhanger ... V.E. Schwab says in the acknoledgments: "I also want to point out that I made it nine books without invoking the dreaded cliff hanger." Well, just because someone has been training to drop a big one, so it seems. :p
Now then... anyone else waiting (impatiently) for "A Conjuring of Light"?

agnes_the_wyrm's review against another edition

4.5 stars!

jessthebookworm's review against another edition

This is the second book in the Shades of Magic trilogy, starting off 4 months after the events of A Darker Shade of Magic. Kell and Rhy are in Red London, struggling with the after effects of the obsidian stone. Lila is finding her way through her new and exciting life in Red London, and makes her way back towards Kell for the Elements Games, a magical competition between magicians of different lands.

While the Elements Games are happening, magic begins to take on a whole new persona in Black and White London, and a sinister shadow starts to emerge, with an intention to take over in Red London.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters are fully fleshed out and the magical system is explored in much more detail. In this way, this book felt much more substantial than the first book. It had a lot of fun moments, especially when the reader is shown the world through Lila's reckless eyes.

But despite all of the fun and pageantry of the book, the reader is constantly reminded of the evil undercurrents heading towards the ignorant characters.

This book does end on a cliffhanger, and I was very glad to have the third book immediately available.

Loving this series, and I can't wait to see how it all ends.

ioannam's review against another edition

adventurous funny sad fast-paced