The Pairing by Casey McQuiston

boomwormbrittany's review

adventurous funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing medium-paced

Thank you to St. Martin's Griffin and NetGalley for an ARC of this book! All opinions are my own.
The Pairing follows Theo and Kit who are ex's that broke up on a flight for a European food and wine tour. They went their separate ways but the vouchers they got for not going on the tour expires in 48 months. When they happen to end up on the same tour again, they're forced to reconcile with what happened.
I always get nervous when I read books from authors I love but I feel so happy that I received an ARC of this book because I absolutely LOVED it! This book was so special to read and I feel so honored to be able to read this book when I did.
I absolutely loved Theo and Kit together but also as individuals. I thought their relationship was so sweet to see how it grows and became deeper as they went on this tour with each other. I really loved that we also got perspectives from both of them and really loved being in their heads. It was so sweet watching them come together and realize how much they grew in their years apart after their breakup. They were such a great couple and I loved them.
This book was also hilarious as is to be expected. I laughed out loud a few times and once near the end I had to put the book down because I was laughing so hard. I really loved the humor and the way that Casey McQuiston knows ALL of their characters nad not just the main two.
Also if you get hungry easily, this book will definitely make you hungry. A few times when I was reading this I got super hungry. The descriptions were as good as I'm sure the food was.
Overall, I adored this book and I am so excited to pick up a copy when it comes out. I cannot express how much I loved this and how happy I was to get an ARC. Please pick this book up when it comes out as it is 100% worth the read.

karis_rogerson's review against another edition

Oh my God, what to say about this book? This book is everything to me. Kit & Theo are so precious. This book has changed the way I think about life, about love, about risks. It's made me want to live a more expansive, experiential life. And yes, it is HORNY. My god, is it horny. This book is delectable. I loved it so much.

mrsdoubtflyer's review

adventurous emotional hopeful lighthearted reflective medium-paced

Former best friends/flames/soulmates reunite unexpectedly years after a dramatic, devastating breakup for a summer food tour romp through Europe. Sweet, sexy, explicitly steamy. Beautifully written. Wine-obsessed, self-doubting, nonbinary Theo and pastry chef, queer dream boy Kit find their way back to one another via time apart missing each other and finding themselves, what they really want and what they don’t, and via a quest for closure from they way they inadvertently broke one another’s hearts years before.

kelnicash's review

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

“I don’t know if I love Theo because I’m queer or if I’m queer because I love Theo, but I know there’s nothing I need that Theo doesn’t have.”

dare I say… move over Henry and Alex? 🫢

CMQ REALLY did it this time, and Theo and Kit are fantastic additions to their line of incredible characters. Theo is a messy, raw, stubborn and relatable nonbinary bisexual and Kit is basically an (also bisexual) Timothee Chalamet but like… if Timothee was a real person. Ray of sunshine, stunning good looks, immediately well liked by all, etc. you get the picture.

The story is rich with typical CMQ detail, I could practically taste the foods and wine they enjoyed, smell the oceans they swam in, and feel the intense range of emotions between them. Casey is so good at weaving in tropes without making them obvious, that I don’t even realize they’re happening until they’re over with. (“Wait, there was only one bed!!!”-me three pages later)

Thank you CMQ and netgalley for the opportunity to review this ARC, and undoubtedly, this will be THE gay book of 2024. ❤️

sebrittainclark's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

Theo and Kit broke up right before going on a European bus tour, but now with their vouchers for a free bus tour about to expire, they both unexpectedly end up on the same bus tour. It's told first from Theo's perspective then Kit's as they travel through France, Spain, and Italy discovering both food and all the ways they've changed over the past four years.

I really enjoyed this. I thought it was a really lovely contemporary romance between two people who are so clearly meant for each other figuring out if and how they can really be together. And I thought the perspective shift halfway through the book was a great way to get insights into both characters.

I thought both narrators did a wonderful job giving the characters a distinctive voice.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

ryinwonderland's review against another edition

emotional medium-paced

Delicious, decadent, sexy, sweet. A former couple unexpectedly find themselves on the same tour across Europe and after some long overdue communication, their rekindled friendship - and more - blooms with each passing day.

lcrowe5112's review

funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

booksnbcys's review

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted slow-paced

li_ly's review against another edition

4.75⭐️ SHUT UP! THIS WAS EVERYTHING TO ME.

I didn't think I would love it this much, and I'm very happy to have been wrong.

The writing was easy to read,  beautiful (I barely made it through Kits POV as I was pausing every 30 seconds to crumple up and die), fun, silly and just overall what I love from this author.

The characters, although a little hard to like at first, really really grow on you. To the point where I was mourning Theos POV when the switchover happened. The relationship between the main characters as well as the relationships they make with the side characters were super well done. Although, I think we could've used a little more side character action as there are so many of them that I did start to forget who certain people were by the end.

Even though it was more smut heavy than what I personally like to read, I can't say that it wasn't well written!! Like, go off!  I think if I wasn't listening to the audio narrators moaning into my ears, I might've been less adverse to the number of scenes.

My only reason for it not being a five-star is that at one point, it did feel like it was going on forever. It gets pretty repetitive towards the end, which really makes it feel much longer than it is. I kept expecting to be at the last chapter only to discover that I had hours left to read.

I hope we continue to get books that are this much fun in the future!!

Thank you to Netgalley for the Audio Arc❤️

sunlitzenik's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced