Reviews tagging 'Murder'

Small Favors, by Erin A. Craig

tiak143's review

dark emotional hopeful mysterious tense fast-paced

SpoilerThis was a big scarier/more suspenseful than I thought it would be! I had nightmares about the dark walkers 🤣 but maybe that’s just me.
I really enjoyed this! The characters were realistic, and believable, and I was questioning everyone’s motives the entire time. It’s very well done!
I do wish there was a little bit more closure. I want to know they made it out, and if their parents are actually alive. And I wish they could’ve gone back for the bees 🥺
Very good book!

tetedump's review

mysterious medium-paced

kaitlinm1678's review

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

ashlikes's review

dark mysterious slow-paced

magellen's review

dark emotional mysterious tense slow-paced

Hooray for a sophomore success! This book is much more cohesive than House of Salt and Sorrows- that said, it still takes a *long long* time to set things up. 3/8ths of the way in felt like the inciting moments, the plot finally showing up to the party.

Once it's in motion, the plot carries along on its own. The nebulous setting flounders through the front half, making it hard to tell just when and where we are, which winds up making it feel like The Village for a stretch. Though it lacks much flavor for voice, the moments of tension/horror are well built and sustained on a razor wire, satisfying to squirm over - there is a lot of blood in this book and talk of the smell of blood so heads up.

Overall, it's a stellar follow up that leans into the fear and reality more than the frothy illusion of S&S. It runs long, or slow, depending how you consider the word count load but it does eventually find uses for most of those words. With yet again a large cast, there's a lot of threads to tie at the end and only a handful of them stay knotted.

brittsbooknook's review

dark mysterious tense

Intense and scary but I couldn't stop, I had to know what happened! The cover is so pretty; you'd not know what was inside based on that. Don't judge a book by its cover. I've read her other book so I knew this wouldn't be a light read. I would describe this as a dark fantasy fairytale horror story...?

little_enigmas49's review

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

krispy_reading's review

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced

I enjoyed this book, but the ending was definitely YA. I need to track down a similiar book but in adult.

bwwilhelm's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

This book is not for the faint of heart, but it was damn good!

jordygordyy's review

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

One of the best stand-alone books I have read. It only took a matter of days to read. The world-building was slow and concise. The contrast between the eerie scenes and the regular was terrific, I could feel the uneasiness of the whole town.

Picture this. . .
Amity Falls is a sleepy town, isolated from the rest of the world by dense forestry for miles in every direction. Ellerie Downing felt she was meant to do more in her life outside of tending to the house and farm. She strives to be like her father, to prove she is capable of bigger things, yet lacks the freedom her twin brother Samuel has.
Amity Falls thrives off of trust and community, but can this town stand together against the strange happenings suddenly occurring after and mysterious monsters lurking in the forests?

Musings and Vibes
Okay, I really enjoyed this book. The pov is strictly from Ellerie yet we still get a feel about everything that's going on. In addition, finding out things alongside her I felt the tension and suspense. Her character is easily likable, she faces real familial struggles and we can watch her grow from a small farm girl.

SpoilerOu how I hated her brother though. From the very beginning, he has this grudge against her it feels like. Not only did he leave all the chores for her to do all summer, it was so he could sleep with her best friend and ditch the friend when she became pregnant. And when he stole the honey to sell, leaving the bees on their deathbed and his sisters to defend themselves I was livid. His whole character was absolutely foul and Ellerie still had hope in him till the very end. Even after finding out, he tried to GIVE HER to the Dark Watchers. I find it ironic he left the family because Ellerie asked how he survived, accusing her of not trusting him when he tried to feed her to the wolves (metaphorically) the first chance he got.

Whitaker Price's character fell a little short for me.  He was tall, dark, and mysterious. While I loved him as a romantic interest, his whole character felt like just a romantic interest to me. Though it is understandable as it is from Ellerie's point of view.
SpoilerI knew he was one of the supernatural creatures instantly, a strange handsome man who appears right after the townsmen were slaughtered in the forest yet he remains unharmed?? Ya right. Though I will be honest I thought it was werewolves at first... then fae..but the dark watchers still feel like fairies to me. The whole name thing and all.