Six Heirs, by Pierre Grimbert, Eric Lamb

wolfpack75's review against another edition

An interesting start that ends without really telling you anything about the central mysteries. The secret of Ji was easy to figure out long before it was revealed, the second mystery of who is killing the heirs was barely addressed. Hopefully the story moves a bit more quickly in the subsequent books.

Of special note when reading the ebook it is difficult to look up Dekade, Deciday, Centiday, and Milliday in the glossary (which is in the back). Since the characters mention the various divisions a lot I thought it best to include them below. It is obvious that this is a time keeping system which is built on tens. However the specifics are as follows:
Dekade: 10 days: prime, dēs, terce, quart, quint, sixt, septime, octes, nones, & term
Centiday: 1/10 of a Deciday or ~14 minutes
Deciday: 1/10 of a Day or ~2 hrs 25 minutes
Milliday: 1/10 of a Centiday or ~1 min & 26 seconds

Overall, very much worth the read. Look forward to continuing the series.

easolinas's review

Some of the best high fantasy worlds are the ones with a sense of scope -- you can feel that there are lands and cultures outside what you necessarily see.

And Pierre Grimbert constructs a pretty epic world in "The Secret of Ji: Six Heirs," constructing all sorts of different societies with wildly different cultures -- not to mention magical gifts like talking to animals in a REALISTIC way. But the well-developed fantasy world is somewhat hampered by clunky prose and a tendency to use too many "fantasy" words.

About a hundred and twenty years ago, emissaries were summoned from various lands -- a king, a sage, a duke, a soldier, a matriarch and others -- to the island of Ji. They vanished for two months, and when they returned, three were dead and the survivors were profoundly changed. Many years later the emissaries reunited, and since their deaths, their children and grandchildren have continued the get-togethers.

But as the latest get-together approaches, Züu assassins are killing off heirs of the Ji emissaries. The survivors -- including the slacker Reyan, villager Yan, his sweetheart Léti and Bowbaq from the frozen wastelands -- begin working to keep themselves and/or their relatives safe from the Züu. But as they come closer to the mysterious Secret of Ji, they also come closer to the fanatical cultists determined to kill them all.

A lot of the enjoyment of "The Secret of Ji: Six Heirs" comes from the world that Grimbert has sketched out -- frozen plains, a matriarchal democracy, shadowy cities full of dissolute wastrels. He pours so much densely-paceked detail into his fantasy world that at times it's necessary to stop and breathe. General tip: keep checking the glossary at the back of the book, just so you don't be totally confused about the calendar system, the major deities and even the animal life.

However, the writing tends to be rather clunky ("How could she not know that, she who had studied the history of Ith?"), although it's not clear whether the choppy portions are due to bad translation or if Grimbert just needs some tempering. He also has a tendency to use made-up words more often than he should ("centidays," "Union" instead of marriage, "dékades" instead of months).

Despite this problem, Grimbert does do an excellent job fleshing out his characters, and (in the case of Rey) changing them on a vital level. Much of the first third of the book is devoted to introducing the characters -- the naive young amazon, her shy smitten love interest, a wanderer who can talk to animals, and so on -- and by the time the adventure starts, they feel very well-developed.

"The Secret of Ji: Six Heirs" has some bumps in Pierre Grimbert's writing style, but the intense world-building and likable characters make this a solid high fantasy -- especially for those seeking something more than the usual Tolkien knockoffs.

supatrey's review

Didn't love this book. It's fine, but not compelling.

Most of the main characters aren't very interesting to me. And the book hinges around a mystery that remains unsolved at the end of the book, so it's really a book about some people making a journey over to a mysterious island.

The fact that people who have been to the island can't talk about what's on the island unless they're on the island struck me as a very artificial means of maintaining tension. I guess it's good that we're only left to wonder about it for a little bit... but that reminded me that they never mentioned that they had this important information before that point.

Anyway. Meh.

melzzzy's review

adventurous mysterious slow-paced

paulapanther's review

2.5*

So I'm not the biggest fan of this book. The premise and magic are quite interesting so far but the rest... I really only like one character and the rest I either don't care much for or they're annoying. Also, the pacing in this book combined with the plot truly isn't that good. But, since I have the whole series in one book I will continue the series

gladiolus's review