The Split by Kit Frick

readbyregan's review against another edition

mysterious medium-paced

kendragaylelee's review

The Split didn't have me flipping through pages like some thrillers do.

But it's premise is solid: a split second decision can alter the course of a life.
In The Split, we get both versions of the future that unfolds from the protagonist's simple decision about whether or not to drive into Manhattan in a driving rainstorm to rescue her sister from a disastrous night.

The secrets that get revealed and along the way remain much the same, but the ultimate outcomes are wildly different. And that's a concept I am fascinated by. So as the book continued to reveal secret after secret, I got more and more invested.

This isn't the fastest moving thriller. But, ultimately, it wasn't too murdery, not too creepy, and pretty thought-provoking in a larger sense.

Give The Split a whirl: https://bookshop.org/a/4334/9781668022474

swilson's review

dark medium-paced

chickenkendies's review

adventurous emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

smtriska's review

emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

bekah1210's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

okevamae's review

Jane Connor and her sister Esme are not especially close, though Jane wishes they were closer. When Esme calls one stormy evening with the news that she’s leaving her rich husband and asks Jane to pick her up from a Manhattan bar, Jane has a decision to make: whether to brave the driving rain (and face her trauma around driving in bad weather) to go and pick Esme up, or to tell her sister to find another ride. At that point of decision, the story splits in two: on one timeline, Jane doesn’t go, and Esme goes missing. On the other, Jane picks up her sister and brings her back to Connecticut – but in the following days, Esme is acting very strangely.

The Split features a very interesting way to structure a mystery – each version of the story gives you different information at different times, allowing the reader to see a fuller picture of the mystery than either version of Jane is privy to. It was easier than I expected to keep the two versions separate in my mind, to keep track of which Jane knew what. The two timelines are written in different fonts, which I found helped my brain change gears. The two realities end in drastically different ways, both of them compelling.

Overall I thought this was a really good mystery told in a unique and interesting way, but it wasn’t quite a 5-star read. It’s hard to put my finger on why, all I can say is that it have that indefinable edge, it didn’t devour my brain the way I feel like a 5-star read should. For that reason, it’s 4.5, rounded down.

I recieved an advance copy of this ebook from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

sumyungguy2005's review

I could not put this down!

books_by_blue's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

readkatieread's review

challenging dark mysterious sad tense