Shatter Me, by Tahereh Mafi

horaee3's review against another edition

Interesting!! It got better by the end of it:)

letitiaharmon's review

How to rate this...If you read the first 3 pages and you're in, then you're in. If you don't like it, then you're not. Because Holy Teenage Angst, Batman. The sentences are long. The emotions are big. The adjectives are plentiful. There's actually something really lyrical to the writing, but you have to be on board with this as though you are a teenage girl. And actually, I think that can be perceived as something it does well. Because remember that? Remember when you thought the feelings you were feeling were the biggest feelings and nobody else had ever felt this thing as much or are as purely as you? Mafi, intentionally or not, captures that. When I was 15 I would have eaten this with a spoon. And so I just let myself be transported to that frame of mind, and it made the book much more enjoyable.

I was delighted when Kenji came on the scene, because he is an essential change to the tone. Snarky banter and a character who doesn't take himself too seriously injected a breath of fresh air into the narrative, and proved that Mafi can write different tones and different voices quite skillfully.

The romance part happens lightning fast, if that's what you enjoy. I'm more of a slow burn myself. The only barrier to their relationship that these horny teenagers encounter is someone repeatedly walking in at the wrong moment. So I guess we have more yearning to look forward to in book 2 as they try to get their hands on each other while being constantly interrupted. Nosy friends. The best birth control.

To sum up: BIG BIG TEENAGE FEELINGS and lots of pretty words but no coitus. Enjoy.

jacobmccabe's review against another edition

Great book. I only deducted a star because the romance kind of freaked me out when it got really hot and heavy really fast. Like, 180 pages fast.

annie_m_12's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional reflective medium-paced

marlo_reads's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

dukesangel002's review against another edition

Find more of my reviews at http://www.readingangel.com

Shatter Me was one of those books that was recommended to me over and over again. I was scared that it was just going to fall flat and not live up to all the hype. I tried my best to go into it without all of those expectations. I really think there was no need. Shatter Me was really just a great read that I couldn't help but enjoy.

I was a little worried that the writing style was going to be a problem for me. It was a very unusual style of writing but it ended up not bothering me at all. I actually really like the stream of conscious way it was written. It seems to flow close to how my brain works (does that make me slightly crazy?).

When we first meet Juliette as a girl locked away in a cell she is so very damaged. Although she was broken, I love that she still maintained a sense of self and a will to fight. It was great getting to watch her journey unfold. Seeing how incredibly strong she still remained after all she had been through was a great testament to her growth during this novel.

Adam, oh Adam. Adam is simply AMAZING. He is such a caring and good-hearted individual. He is so loyal and never gives up on the people he loves. Plus, there is just something about tattooed guys that is SOOO sexy!

Warner is so creeptastic. He's one of those bad guys that will have you feeling sorry for him one second and wanting to shoot him in the face the next. Kenji is HILARIOUS! Seriously, every time he opened his mouth I was snorting with deliciously evil giggles. I wanted to pull him out of the pages and eat him up.

Shatter Me seems like it will be the start of a wild and exciting super-hero adventure. The pace kept me flipping pages and wondering what would happen next. Do I recommend it to everyone? No. Not everyone is going to love this style of writing. I do suggest you give it a try and see what you think for yourself.

ladylegerwood's review

I was in the mood for some YA. This did not disappoint. Deliciously melodramatic with beautifully purple prose that gladdened my gleeful soul. Loved it.

tiffa's review against another edition

I'm hoping the series gets better. I have Such a hard time getting over the disrespect of consent in book #1

Unfortunately I saw spoilers for this series and know who she ends up with. I just don 't see how that works with the way he treats her.

I hope this isn't another book series teaching young girls that if a guy treats you like a possession he MUST love you.

avery333's review against another edition

tense fast-paced

jillkaarlela's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

This book almost feels like slam poetry, it is super descriptive. The plot is kind of interesting, and the romance is very sweet. I’m not sure why I’m interested to read the next books but there is something compelling about it.