Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

erickabohle's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious fast-paced

ajb24's review against another edition

Let me tell you. I wanted to like this book. It seemed like a new idea and I'm into dystopian adventures. But the truth? I couldn't even finish this book. I know, I know. That's bad and I shouldn't be reviewing a book I never technically finished. But I just, ugh, I couldn't force myself through it.

Ok, so obviously, I had issues with this book (if you're wondering why I gave it 2 stars; it's because I think 1 star looks really lonely), so I'm going to put what really bugged me (which was a lot) here. If this goes on for a while, I'm sorry about that.

1. The cross-outs annoyances. Now, I thought this might be a cool idea. It was new to me and I'm not totally against trying new writing styles. But this was me:
Page 1: "ok...interesting"
Page 5: "Am I supposed to read what's crossed out? Because it breaks up the text"
Page 10: "ok now I really don't get why she did this"
*Rest of the book* "Hey look! It's been 20 pages and no cross-outs! Oh wait, here's one. That was random."
But seriously, why?

2. The metaphors. Oh god. This is one of the things I liked the least. Now I don't have anything against metaphors. I think they do add depth to a text. But for metaphors to work they have to A, Be used appropriately and B, Make sense. This book did neither. It was practically written in metaphors with some sentences of thought to break it up. I mean, metaphors only do so much. And half of them didn't make sense. These ones stood out the most though in terms of "Dumbest Metaphors":

"...2 buckets of river water at midnight."

"He smiles a small smile the size of Jupiter."

(And my personal favourite in terms of metaphors I will never understand)
"...just a cardboard cutout of vanilla regurgitaions."

Like, what. the. hell. How does this make sense. Anywhere. I mean, jeez, wouldn't it be easier to say "He thought he was a copy of everyone else"? It's not like this book lacks metaphors or anything.

3. Juliette. Oh, Juliette, Juliette, Juliette. She just annoyed me with everything she did. Not only did she say things that make no sense; I wanted to shake her half the time and scream "Get a grip!". For the beginning of the book, all she seemed to do was hide in a corner and rant about how she's not a monster and not insane blah blah blah. Then, whenever anything happened she would break down. Not crying; but shaking/quaking/paralyzed/terrified/any possible word to describe fear. However, when she met Adam, I thought she finally might be growing a backbone. I was wrong because just when something was about to happen and she would do something, she broke down. I'm thinking she is insane.

4. The fact that this is a romance novel (and a totally unrealistic romance at that; but if you read this book, I'll leave that discovery to you) Now, I don't mind a little romance. I'm a fan of [a:Sarah Dessen|2987|Sarah Dessen|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1208460253p2/2987.jpg]; but her romances are more subtle. This. This book is not subtle in any way. Plus the fact that Juliette feels she must decribe every. single. inch. of Adam's body (everytime she sees him), does not add to my liking of this book.

5. Lack of commas. Ok, if you're going to use this technique, it should be used sparingly. It should probably add a little suspense. But when Juliette keeps thinking like this like this like this; it's just annoying!

6. The lines that just don't make sense. Plain and simple. For example,

"He's pelted with rebel raindrops..."

"His jaw is as tight as his eyes as tight as his fists as tight as the strain in his arm."

"Warner hasn't asked me to touch him again, and I don't offer."

7. What I don't understand is
Spoiler why in this future, Juliette and only Juliette has this ability to kill people by touch. Yeah, I know that's the whole plot of the book, but I think it would be cooler if there were more people like her out there. But what I really don't get is why Adam can touch her. That seems extremely convienient. And also how, out of rage, she just broke a concrete wall. Since when does killing people with your touch give you the ability to break solid things like concrete??

Ok, Ok. I think I'm done my mini rant about this book. Unforunately, I don't think I would recommend this book to anyone unless you like romance and a little bit of dystopian. Or if you just love reading metaphors. If you do though, I'd recommend it to you!

soulstar777's review against another edition

Once again, I give this book 5 stars. The story in this book trumps all others and I CANNOT I mean CANNOT get over AARON WARNER. AHHHHHHHHHHH <<<<<<<<33333333

erlhopkins's review

2/5 ★★

ohhhhh dude this is decidedly not good.

here's the thing though: there is a reason people love this series and his name is warner. i am *absolutely* LOST as to why this is based on the stalker persona he emanates. therefore, i KNOW there's something that'll be unpacked to help explain this.

for that reason alone, i will read on. there is a reason he has readers in an utter chokehold and i must uncover why.

in terms of this actual book: quality is poor. the crossed out lines are annoying, juliette's internal monologue makes zero sense half the time and the world building is nonexistent.

i'm trusting you warner stans.

tiannastarfall's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional medium-paced

This book surprised me. I thought it was going to be a "steamy" novel a la "shades of grey" and that I would be abandoning it pretty quickly. It turned out to be something else entirely.  Starting in an asylum with a broken teenage girl, that was very well written, it soon became clear that it was set in a dystopian near future and the last few chapters felt more like a superhero back-story than anything else. I am very intrigued to see where this goes in the next book. I liked the characters and the writing style and yes, there were a couple of steamy scenes, but they worked in the context they were placed in and were Ok.

asiral's review against another edition

adventurous emotional fast-paced

lisa_sutto's review against another edition

2.5 rating.

lillllyyyy33's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional tense fast-paced

smyser627's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

This book was very different from the other fantasy books I’ve read, yet it was good. The unreliable narrator is actually fun to read because it keeps you on your toes. It was very fast paced and I went on a rollercoaster of emotions but it was a good read.

heyheyaa's review