rhonig's review against another edition

My early pick for favorite book of 2013. The characters and plot were equally compelling, and the tone struck an incredibly fine line between uproariously funny and overwhelmingly dreadful.

myliterarylove's review against another edition

Holy. Crap.
That was a fun and frightening ride!
I know I'll be thinking about Vic McQueen and the Shorter Way Bridge for a long time.
Oh, and Christmasland... *shudders

barbaral's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

cbrown1021's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

llassu01's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional tense medium-paced

lillifey's review against another edition

Despite the size of N0S4A2, I don't think there's a single superfluous word. It doesn't feel like I've read a story spanning 700 pages and never once did it feel like a slog. The horror aspect is fantastic, a well balanced and well used mix of all too realistic horror and fantasy horror. Joe Hill's writing is fantastic and the book is incredibly vivid in scenery, description, and character - especially the women. Can't wait to check out his other works!

ika0's review against another edition

3,5 stars

NOS4A2 is the story of Vic McQueen, a young girl when we first meet her. She discovers she has the magic power of going anywhere she wants to through a bridge that doesn't exist, but she can only find that bridge when she's riding her bike.
Vic isn't the only one with such special powers, though, and not all the people who have them use them for good. Charles Manx can go to a special place he's created in his mind, a place called Christmasland, where all the children he takes there remain young and happy forever (and very creepy). Instead of a bike, he drives The Wraith, a car that he can control with his mind and allows him to turn normal children into cold little creatures with dozens of sharp teeth.

Vic ended up finding Charles's house when she was 16, and ended up becoming the first child to escape Charles Manx. However, she never became the same, and even years later, after becoming a mother, the children from Christmasland kept calling to torment her.

Manx never forgot Vic, and he decided the best revenge for her was to take her own son, Bruce Wayne, to Christmasland. Vic is one tough chick, however, and she won't let Charles Manx get way that easily.

NOS4A2 is a great choice for any fans of Stephen King or just scary novels in general. The story was very original, and it does make Christmas look a little creepy. The paranormal aspect of the book was very interesting, and I would like to know a little more about all the other people who, besides, Maggie, Vic and Charlie Manx, were mentioned has having special abilities.

For me, what kept me from giving this book 4 stars was the last chapter. It felt somewhat rushed, and the way everyone dealt with what happened to Vic felt too light, considering the situation.

Buy it on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2zfY0tP

happyladyjadereads's review against another edition

Child abuse was more difficult to read than anticipated but the actual writing still great

ghostthereader's review against another edition

Many Stephen King stories are very long and drawn out in my opinion and his son Joe Hill unfortunately has that quality as well. This is not to say the story is bad by any means. Readers who want a story of the blood sucking vampires may be disappointed because the vampire in this story is far from that. Instead of blood this vampire feeds on children's innocence by kidnapping them in his ancient car. The story is told from multiple characters which keeps the story fresh.

laurenreadsagain's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced