The Once and Future Witches, by Alix E. Harrow

meganlynae's review

I enjoyed this book. At the beginning I thought that I might not like all of the sisters but by the end Harrow had found a way to make each one sympathetic. It was a well told story, but a difficult one.

rebeccagrnwd's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring slow-paced

skylercauldron's review

challenging dark emotional inspiring reflective tense slow-paced

moonwitch's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring reflective tense medium-paced

katyhosbein's review

adventurous emotional hopeful tense medium-paced

A great story interwoven with new twists on old nursery rhymes and childhood stories. Strong sisterhood and witchy vibes which I absolutely loved.

emilie_rose28's review

challenging emotional inspiring reflective sad slow-paced

reallycatherine's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense slow-paced

A slow build that really paid off in the end. Beautiful storytelling seems to be Alix Harrow’s strength. Can’t wait to read more of her books.

bookworm_baggins's review

Thanks to the publisher for a free review copy.

I loved The Ten Thousand Doors of January so much, and was thrilled to see how long this book was when it arrived. I ended up liking it, but not loving it like her first novel.

This is a character driven fantasy story featuring three sisters, set historically during the women's suffrage movement in the US. I love the style of this book: winding stories, breaking apart and then finding a way back together. The writing is beautifully poetic and full of vivid imagery, and the sister element and bond is strong and powerful. The magical elements combine fairy tales and with history for a unique feel that was spooky at times, ominous throughout, but never truly scary.

Despite its 500 pages, I still felt like I wanted more from the characters, and it took a really long time for me to feel fully invested in them. I also expected things to be slightly more creepy. Even though this wasn't a complete homerun for me, I still love the writing style and will continue to read this author!

magickalmaddi's review

adventurous dark emotional inspiring mysterious medium-paced

keirashepherd's review

There are no words to fully describe how much I ardently love this book. It is a masterpiece.
The characters and character development is exquisite, the metaphor are stunning, the truth of the words these characters speak combined with their incredible humour is out of this world.
Alix E. Harrow manages to combine the suffrage movement with the entrenched racism in both society and the suffrage movement, with witches and the idea that ‘behind every witch is a wronged woman’.
Now I’m not talking witches and black hats style magic; Harrow portrays a subtly to a witches power that almost makes the book seem realistic.
Harrow also includes different LGBTQ+ characters and highlights the way in which they have to act in society, ‘if this was the consequence of her sinfulness, perhaps she ought to sin more often’.
Something I found especially cool was that within some of the chapters are classical fairytale but retold (there’s seven overall) and I found it so clever as they both contributed to and enhanced the story tenfold.
The plot twists and amount of quotes and immaculate descriptions I tabbed is insane. I cannot recommend this enough, I think about this book constantly and loved every second of reading it.