Gods of Want: Stories, by K-Ming Chang

fiendfull's review

Gods of Want is a collection of short stories from the author of Bestiary, exploring Taiwanese American life, magical realism, family, and queer sexuality. There's lots of hauntings of family and the past, strange characters coming and going, and narrators who don't quite feel like they fit in these stories, which are often poetic with a hypnotic sense of language and storytelling. In particular, there's a lot of mothers, aunts, and other women having an influence on younger female narrators, and reading the collection as a whole, there's a lot of interesting things to think about in terms of women and families, as well as ways in which stories are real and unreal. Some of the stories gripped me less than others, as with many collections, but there's plenty to experience in God of Want

jmta's review

emotional funny mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

vivo_morior's review

challenging dark reflective sad slow-paced

1.5

gusiakos's review against another edition

challenging emotional slow-paced

bookwormhomebody's review

challenging dark emotional funny medium-paced

taratearex's review

adventurous challenging mysterious reflective slow-paced

A collection of short stories from the author of Bestiary, a book I read and loved last year. This book brings all of the things I loved about that book back: intense and poetic storytelling, winding tales that weave through fantasy and reality, moments of beauty and queerness, vivid imagery and magical realism.

As with any collection of short stories there are some that I just loved and others I didn't connect with as much, but they are all rich and imaginative. I tend to connect with stories that remain a bit more grounded then the ones that go fully into magical realism, the stories that make me feeling like I'm being lifted off the ground, but still allow me to keep a toe on the ground.

If you liked Bestiary, you will like this one too. And if you haven't read the author's work yet, this is a great place to start. Also recommend it for fans of Helem Oyoyemi and Carmen Maria Machado.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for the e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

dajka8's review

challenging dark emotional funny informative mysterious tense medium-paced