Falls Boys, by Penelope Douglas

evelyreads's review

dark emotional medium-paced

jneeni's review against another edition

Somehow, it simultaneously felt like there was too much and not enough happening throughout the book? I wasn’t particularly invested in Aro and Hawke but it was a decent read.

bklvr08's review

As always Ms. Penelope Douglas has done it again.

gloriamontagov's review

➥ 3.5 Stars *:・゚✧ (rounded up for Aro only, my girll <3)
Pressing her body into mine, her scent hits me, and liquid heat rushes through my veins as her mouth hovers over mine. She reaches behind me, and I hear the bobby pin slip into the lock of my cuffs.

I brush her nose with mine.

"I've been detained before," she whispers as everyone in the room watched. "A few times..."
She moves the bobby pin around, taking my bottom lip between her teeth. "It's actually not that hard once you get the hang of it," she teases.

I nod. "So, what you're saying is handcuffs won't work on you."

She smiles. "Maybe duct tape."

I graze my lips over her forehead, brushing her hair with my mouth and dying to have her in my arms. "I love you," I say.

"I know, baby."
━━━━━━━━━━━ ♡ ━━━━━━━━━━━

I was disappointed with this book but some things pleasantly surprised me.

Firstly, I felt that the Bad Girl/Good Boy trope was something unique and very well executed. I really commend PD on the way they managed Hawke and Aro's dynamic. This was more like a friends to lovers and it was so interesting to see it done while still having tension and banter, especially since PD's strength tends to be bully romances. One of the main things I kept in mind while reading this book was how it compared to the Fall Away Series, and this book was far better, I must say.

Aro is probably one of my favourite fmc's that PD has ever written. (Olivia and Tiernan right beside her). Aro reminds me a lot of Olivia. I love how she fought back and didn't take any of Hawke's shit. She worked hard and she was really such an admirable character. Also, I highly recommend reading PD's author's note for this book because it shows how personal Aro's character is to them and PD is really admirable in that sense. It was really nice to be able to see PD's clear improvement compared to their past books. Aro is a much better fmc than Tate, Fallon, Juliet, Rika or Banks.

Not to mention that she's hot as fuck hello?? Aro can do anything to me sorry. And she speaks Spanish? What more could I ask for?? I might add in quotes later but I'm lazy rn.

Also, as usual, PD creates tension so so well. I think I enjoyed the beginning of this book more because of that one scene where
SpoilerAro just touches him. It was the cutest but also hottest fucking thing ever.
I wish we had just focused on there being more moments like that rather than having random plot filler jammed between the few (super good tbh) moments. But I'm trying to state the positive here so one sec. What I meant to say was that the beginning and first development of Aro and Hawke's relationship was done incredibly well. Hawke wasn't a dick, and Aro was a badass but also someone who knew how to be kind and gentle when it was necessary.

However, moving onto things that really dissapointed me:

Hawke's character was great at the beginning. I love that he was a virgin bc somehow it made him nice and not a douche fuckboy and at least he didn't try to do cringey dirty talk and left that kindly to Aro (which was great), but after they kinda "got together" or after he wasn't a virgin anymore, his ego inflated, he got douchey and most of all: annoying. I just couldn't stand him. I'm attracted to men but what. He was much cuter when his mouth was shut. Then are supposedly told that (super mini tiny spoiler) he speaks spanish. *crickets*. because "he spent a lot of time out of a america". first of all! i know his accent is TRASH. second of all, he probably learned spain spanish which is so annoying sorry. THEN he LITERALLY MAKES A ROOKIE MISTAKE el yankee es un pelotudo, lo odio. he says "solo un ano". yeah that's right. he didn't use "ñ". with full confidence, he said "only one anus"

marie07's review against another edition

I'm absolutely in love with Penelope Douglas' writing

bookgramsaga's review

There were parts of this book I really liked and some others that I was not enjoying as much.
The first 40-45 percent I was mostly uninterested and thankfully it picked up.

There was a scene with the guy in the mask who showed up at the party and I knew right away who it was and was laughing when the characters were unaware until the next books sneak peak at the end. Pirate girls is going to be super interesting considering I have a couple in mind and I hope Penelope actually goes with that one.

sarahnd's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

sofia_cval's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

10/10 lo ame con todo mi ser

stayyreading's review

Sometimes I want you to be all that I can see and hear. So that nothing exists in the world to me but the feel of you.

maddyrdz13's review

I really liked it. I LOVED ARO. I identified so much with her as I am a hispanic women. I loved the representation. Its hardly ever that I see myself represented in books so to know that I am represented in a PenDoug book is just amazing. I liked the story line it was great and I liked that Pen still kept the mystery about carnival tower. I am really excited for the next book but I am even more excited for Dylan's book. I can already tell she's going to have one of the best books in the series. I loved seeing Noah from Credence in this book. I want to infer that that will be Dylan's love interest a little enemies to lovers but I honestly have no clue. Hawke was a soft boy at heart and he absolutely melted me but he eventually learned how to get down which made for great smut. I really hope to see Aro succeed in throughout the series I think she will have a special place in my heart.