Reviews for Call Down the Hawk, by Maggie Stiefvater

elizafiedler's review against another edition

DNF
Weirdly, there's very little character development. It's like caricatures of the Raven Cycle characters. I'm moving on to something I'll enjoy more.

kosmicgirl's review against another edition

More like a 4'5, but I really enjoyed it. It felt so nice to read again Ronan and the new characters were amazing. I can't wait for the second book.

simoneleafingthroughtime's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

aftglow's review

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

treereader's review against another edition

This was fabulous. Who knew Declan might actually be a good protagonist?

~~~~~~~
Initial reaction when I found out about this:
I can't believe this is actually happening... I mean Ronan's one of my favourite characters, but I had NO IDEA there were more books in the making... SO EXCITING!!!

Now we just need a Persephone short story or something and my life will be complete.

saltycaroline's review against another edition

Things I expected: getting to know Ronan Lynch better, continuing to love him and to love Adam Parrish, a new adventure in Stiefvater’s same entrancing style
Things I got: all of the above plus an adoration for Declan Lynch and some fascinating new characters
I cannot WAIT for the next book to come out and have no idea what to do with myself in the meantime

sofialister's review against another edition

4.25 stars - usually i don't get so specific but it's what this book deserves that it's above other 4 stars

oh my goodness. i don't even know where to start. i always knew i loved ronan lynch, and now i know i love ronan lynch as well as declan lynch and lets not forget matthew lynch. and for this trio i am grateful

i struggled a lot getting into the book as i came to the conclusion that i cannot consume maggie's work via my eyes. it just doesn't work. i read the raven boys physically and felt nothing - only to revisit it via audio and fall in love with its whimsicality and familial bonds. and history repeated itself when i read a whole 100 pages of this book, and couldn't have told you a single thing that happened. i will say maggie's writing is more lyrical and aimless (?) writing than i think i've encountered before, but i'd be interested to see if it's the same with works of hers than aren't in this world. it was quite the dichotomy and i ran into the fear that i would have to dnf this book i had been so excited about, but fortunately enough scribd had the audio and allowed me to not only devour but thoroughly enjoy this novel!

despite whatever it is that prevents me from understanding maggie's writing physically, she just has a way of writing stories that impresses me to no end. seemingly, there's no concrete plot to this 500 page book, but i still was on the edge of my seat the whole time. to me, it was a character piece, as new characters and relationships grew before my eyes, and i grew in love with them.

and on that note, the romance building in this book is exquisite. i can't think of the last time a couple had me feeling so strongly for them in a non-romance book (that doesn't quite make sense: i mean the na romances i usually pick up are where i usually find those gushy feelings as most fantasies i read kind of fall flat in the romance department, but here i was pleasantly surprised) - declan and jordan better be endgame because they are both going through some shit right now, and seeing them bring each other joy they were not expecting brought ME all the joy.

through this book i have come to release that the multiple-people-as-the-same-person trope it seems holds a very special place in my heart. i haven't seen it a great deal in my time, but i think back to where it has cropped up, and they're all favourites. it's an endlessly intriguing trope to me: the emotional suppression is divine to read about

all in all, this book is teetering on a 5 star, which i have not had in a while :,( hopefully the series will be onwards and up, because it has been far too long since i had a 5 star read. all that was missing was MORE ADAM, and a more stable plot - that is to say, one i can point at as something driving the story that isn't a bunch of powerful teens being like huh you also powers that crazy run from this guy and cry a lil. also maybe i'm a dumb bitch but these lay line and killers from nowhere tings are still making no sense to me, and i would love just once to fully know who every character is and what exactly we are trying to do here. that is all

szava's review against another edition

I have a lot of thoughts about Hawk and even more feelings.

I feel it draws parallel to Dream Thieves in many ways: it centers on Ronan's loneliness and isolation as a dreamer. There is a character who leans on that loneliness and isolation and tries to gain Ronan's loyalty for his own gain - and while Bryde is not Kavinsky, we don't know enough about him to make the correct judgements. There is the POV of a killer: we had our conflicted Gray Man, now we have conflicted Carmen who wants to save the world, but doesn't have the ruthlessness her fellow worldsavers have. (Moderators as a name is giving me comic book flashbacks. I wonder if that association is intentional.) There is Declan with his secrets and his own private war, except it is becoming less and less private. I adore his chapters. Maybe it's an oldest sibling thing, but I always thought him a really good character and I feel so much sympathy for him. I think it was in Thieves that Ronan learned he dreamt Matthew and now Matthew figured that truth out himself.
Ronan is struggling with his identity once again, but the resolution, the catharsis is different this time (help yourself vs help others). And it also comes back to Ronan's imagination being a terrifying thing, a beautiful thing and also incredibly powerful.

The central theme leans into heavily of forgery vs original, real vs dreamed and truth vs lie but is never heavyhanded and very well built up. It stood out to me a lot this time because while I liked All the Crooked Saints, I found its central theme very heavyhanded. And let's talk about the title. There is the poem at the beginning and that is one level, but later Bryde shares a story, where the Hawk was equated with wisdom basically and ever since then this prayer keeps going in my head: Lord grant me the serenity (....) and wisdom to know the difference. Don't know if it's just me, but I think it also fits.

I'm incredibly happy to see that his relationship with Adam is going strong and the level of understanding between them is just so good. The way they do not say I love you like regural people do, because why the fuck would they. I love how they get borderline pretentious with their uniqeness.

I was happy about the bits of Gansey and Blue showing up, but I hope there will be more of them. There is a vision about the end of the world and some kind of demonic entity afoot, Ronan and Henessey will need all the help.

Henessey and Jordan. I love them so much, and I love how different they are and how it brings up the question what makes a person real. And I especially live Jordan and her relationship with Declan and can't wait to see how that goes with both of them hiding in the Barns.

I have also a lot of worries: Declan' mother, Boudicca, Niall's copy and who dreamt him, the woman from the Opal short... i have a feeling anything Niall Lynch related is going to get more fucked-up. The goverment backing of the Moderators... (if only Ronan knew someone related to a politician...#sarcasm)

Things I do not worry about: Adam. I remember what happened last time fandom worried about Adam, and this time I think it has even less basis.

harompe's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

laiaselias's review