Call Down the Hawk, by Maggie Stiefvater

wrapmeupinplastic's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

danaslitlist's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny mysterious tense fast-paced

Maggie Stiefvater did it again; she penned another novel that gripped me from beginning to end and ran me through every emotion that's humanely possible. I'm not sure how she manages to consistently write books that leave me clawing for more at the end of every page and remain creative and fresh.

Call Down The Hawk (CDTH) is everything The Raven Cycle (TRC) is and isn't. There's moments in CDTH that make you remember the flavor of TRC, but in its entirety it manages to stand alone. One of the main aspect of the book that I loved the most was that it felt as if it was written for the fans of TRC who had grown up since the first series had concluded. It was more mature, a bit darker, a bit more in everything. Maggie has a great gift for writing for a large variety of readers ranging from young adult to new adult audiences.

It isn't so much a fantasy as TRC. Call Down The Hawk is instead more focused on the realities of our every day world and how Dreamers and Dreamkillers, as well as those stuck in between are forced to function knowing that magic is so deeply rooted around them. The themes are heavier and the stakes feel higher. Where I described The Raven Cycle as "Stand by Me" meets "Buzzfeed Unsolved", Call Down The Hawk feels more reminiscent of an action/detective movie meets TRC.

I love the new characters so much and that was one of my biggest fears going into this series. It's impossible to not compare characters from a previous series, especially ones that had such a huge impact on Ronan's story. But the new additions are fleshed out and so complex that I didn't find myself missing the Gangsey. The expansion of the world of dreamers was everything I had hoped it would be and seeing how there are so many other sides to the coin that is Ronan was enjoyable. It was also a pleasure to have more of an inside look into Declan and Matthew.

I understand for some fans of the Raven Cycle, that the changes in terms of how this book is written (though I'd argue it is so distinctly Maggie Stiefvater) and the theme changes could lead to feeling let down. But I think it's important to remember that this series, while connected to TRC, is not supposed to be a cut out of that series. This is the world of the Lynch Brothers and The Henneseys, of Farooq-Lane and the Visionaries. And I think in that regard it is perfect in every way.

Please check out the content warnings as mentioned above, some of the themes are darker and may be triggering).

itsmadelyn's review against another edition

Lmao wtf did I just read.

"You are made of dreams and this world is not for you."

First of all, I've never read [b:The Raven Boys|17675462|The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)|Maggie Stiefvater|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1573508485l/17675462._SY75_.jpg|18970934] before, and I even didn't know that CDTH is like a spinoff/sequel to TRB until, like, just now, so if it's like essential to read TRB first and I should do that, then please lmk.

With that said, I really didn't like this book.

It was slow. Slow. As. Snails.

I didn't know what was going on. I didn't know what their goals were. It took like 100 pages for me to figure out that they wanted to get the Dark Lady, but by the time the Dark Lady was important, they've already obtained it. And then it just became useless. I mean I still don't know why exactly Declan wanted it. And I still don't know why Declan is a part of the market thing anyway. (Should I have read TRB first?)

Their paths all just barely interest for like 100 pages, and Carmen's storyline only intersects with the other two for a page. Not kidding.

The writing also didn't do it for me either, but that's just because I was looking for something fast paced and exciting, while this was slow and... dreamlike.

Fitting.

Everything was just so goddamn random. And we had just random stories peppered throughout, characters we haven't ever heard of. Why did we need those?

Anyway, the characters were just so... I don't know. I didn't care for them. They were characters, not people I was rooting for. They weren't real. I don't know why they did whatever they did half the time. Everything about this book was just so... random and not tied together and just, yeah, dreamlike. Not in a very good way. It was all a trance. This doesn't feel like a book. It feels like someone put a bunch of sentences together and hoped for the best. I just ended up getting so bored.

All in all, if all this hating on the book is just because I've never read TRB and I really should, I'm sorry LOL, feel free to yell at me.

"You are a song in a crowded restaurant and it’s so hard to hear with all this shitty noise.

lunaread's review against another edition

you are made of dreams and this world is not for you

3.5 star

Call Down the Hawk follows three main point-of-views: Ronan Lynch who is fed up with his predictable life on the Barns. Things are about to change when a mysterious existence appears to speak to him in his dreams, challenging him and taunting him. Jordan Hennessy who is an art forger about to commit an important heist. Carmen Farooq-Lane who is part of an organization dedicated to killing dreamers in the name of saving the world. (Basically there's a threat to the dreamers and the dreamers must figure out how to save themselves and each other.)

I think this is a very Maggie Stiefvater book. There's the beautiful, atmospheric prose I love. There's also the not-a-lot-of-plot I've come to accept. This is a fluffy fantasy read for me and I'm definitely continuing with the trilogy. However, on its own, Call Down the Hawk didn't wow me as much as I would have liked? Like a certain *spark* is missing from the story until the last 20% or so.

(Partially that could be because the character dynamics and banter in TRC is very top-notch and I'm subconsciously comparing Call Down the Hawk to TRC??? Not a fair comparison because #nostalgia but I couldn't help the comparison sjshjd)

My brain is struggling to write a complete review, so here's a list of random thoughts:

- Adam being iconic even though he's barely on-page.
- Pynch #relationshipgoals
- Needs more banter between characters
- I wish we are given reasons to care for the new characters earlier?? In the first half of the book, the pov of the new characters are a bit of a drag to get through. Like I've grown to really love Jordan but wish that happened earlier D:
- Declan redeemed himself and become the second best if not best character in Call Down the Hawk. His character and his blooming romance with (character) become some of my highlights from the book.
- The Lynch brothers <3
- Ronan is sometimes unbearable in this book but I still love him

oozins's review against another edition

“Lindenmere was beautiful and uncomplicated in ways that the real world was not. Air and music were two different things in the real world; in Lindenmere they were not always. Water and flowers were similarly confused in this forest. Hennessy felt the truth of it as they walked. There were creatures you didn’t want to meet in person if you weren’t with Ronan Lynch. There were places you might get trapped forever if you weren’t with Ronan Lynch. It was feral and confusing, but in the end, it followed one rule: Ronan Lynch. His safety, his desires, his thoughts. That was Lindenmere’s only true north.

She could feel it: Lindenmere loved him.”

a month of this book and i’ve let ronan lynch completely take over my summer. i’m not upset about it in the slightest. i definitely have my issues with call down the hawk (plot wise mostly! maggie’s always been a loose plot kinda gal so this feels Much) but in terms of world building and the relationships between the brothers lynch and exploring a whole new realm of dreaming, this book captivated me. reading chapters in hushed voices over the phone for hours, you always asking me if i’m ready, brainstorming outlandish things maggie could do next, i wouldn’t trade the way i read this for anything. i love you declan lynch. tamquam.

vaderbird's review against another edition

5 star - Perfect
4 star - i would recommend
3 star - good
2 star - struggled to complete
1 star - could not finish

marshsaint's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny medium-paced

jessica_rodrigues's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

stayarmytiny's review against another edition

4.5!!
This took me aaaages to read because I’m lazy and also there are so many points of views and I simply don’t care about some of the characters that sometimes get to share their povs BUT I love love love the way this is written and Ronan Lynch is one of the best fictional characters there ever was you can’t change my mind

nikeg27's review against another edition

The first time I read this book, I felt jilted. Now, the second time around, I feel seen.