Fable, by Adrienne Young

chapterswithkrislynn's review

adventurous challenging dark sad tense slow-paced

dc372's review

adventurous emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

an_aesthetic's review against another edition

Well that was underwhelming. In this book we have our main character Fable who is abandoned on an island by her father, a powerful trader, and has to learn to survive on her own. She eventually joins the crew of a ship and…they do things? The whole book felt like chapter 1 of a novel, drawn out into 400 pages. There’s very little world-building, the plot is meandering, and the characters try to have deep back stories but they weren’t very complex and I was not invested in any of them. I also didn’t understand the romance because they literally know nothing about each other. The writing wasn’t bad, but overall the book just wasn’t anything special. There is a sequel which I probably will read at one point because it ended on a big cliffhanger, but I am in no rush.

mattheo's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional

booksontheknightbus's review against another edition

*Spoiler Free*

“Like a weary bird flying out over the most desolate sea, I finally had a place to land.”

Not me going in with high expectations after reading Sky in the Deep... only to be let down into the deepest depths of the ocean. Fable was a meh book for me. I ended up giving Fable a 3/5. The plot left so much to be desired not to mention so many of these characters have a crap ton of backstories I want to hear about.

Fable Synopsis: Fable is a very young child when she is left on an island of deadbeats by her very own father. She has nothing to defend herself, she has nobody in the world to help her survive. As she continues to grow Fable learns the ways of a dredger (A coral based treasure hunter). She knows she must hide her treasures from the other dredgers, otherwise they will take it from her again. Other than surviving her only other goal is to save enough to get off the island.

There is a love interest in this book. In the very beginning I felt a twinge for it, as we went on I didn't feel anything until the end of the story. It wasn't forced or anything, it just felt off because our main characters are the stereo typical YA characters. ;)

Even though I wasn't overly enthused with the writing in this one, I do intend to pick up the sequel because the cliffhanger in book one got to me. In fact the last 3 chapters were the best part of the book. If the rest of the book had been written like the last three chapters I might be singing a different tune ^^
Overall, this one had a ton of hype for the love story and its plot; It just didn't work for me. I'll still be picking up book 2 for the cliff hanger.

jenny_grace24's review against another edition

adventurous challenging medium-paced

loved the characters, especially Fable and Willa. such a fun, easy story.

allivb's review against another edition

This one was fine; exactly what I expected from this genre so not sure why I didn't like it more. I'll still read the next installment but maybe not right away...

bandysbooks's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

Fable is a young woman who was abandoned on an island by her father. She’s survived by dredging the ocean floor and trading the things she finds. It’s been a cruel existence and she’s determined to find her father to claim her inheritance. She escapes on a ship and eventually befriends the crew and adventure ensues.

I really loved the main character of this story. She’s scared and wary, but also strong and self-sufficient. She’s survived on her own and developed a lot of useful skills. I appreciated that she isn’t just naturally gifted at everything. She’s actually had to develop all of the talents she has. That was super refreshing.

The world she lives in is also quite interesting. I loved the pirate vibes and the sense of adventure. I enjoyed how each island seemed to have its own culture. It kept things exciting.

My only complaint is that I felt like this book just cut off right in the middle of the story and that some of the details toward the ending were a bit rushed to accomplish this. It was minor though.

All in all, if you like fantasy, strong female characters, and adventure, you should check this one out!

camsamantha's review against another edition

2.5/5
I was so incredibly underwhelmed by this book…

isabellareading's review against another edition

This was a super quick read with great pirate vibes. However, I didn’t really feel connected to any of the characters or the plot line for most of the story. I do think I’ll continue on with the sequel though as I’m interested to see how things develop!