Magic Bites, by Ilona Andrews

travelgirlut's review against another edition

I made it 60% of the way through. From the beginning I felt like I was reading the second or third book in a series where I was expected to already know who all the characters were. It was like listening in on a conversation and not quite catching on to what was happening. Also, I didn't love the characters. I felt zero connection to any of them. I was hoping for something a bit like Mercy Thompson, but this wasn't it for me.

April 2020: I decided to go back and give this a second chance since I really want another good Urban fantasy series to read. I made it all the way through this time. My feelings are still a bit of a mixed bag, but I'll give the second book a shot since it's supposed to only get better from here.

xeleison's review against another edition

Interesting story, scary vampires, slightly annoying (because immature) heroine. Liked the concept of the magic waves.

sh543's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

skyeangei's review against another edition

Well, this 3 star rating definitely came as a surprise to me.

The first Ilona Andrews book I've ever read ([b:Burn for Me|20705702|Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)|Ilona Andrews|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1396368355l/20705702._SY75_.jpg|40025563]) was amazing and secured its spot on my favourites shelf. Because of that book, I was pretty confident going into the Kate Daniels series. However, Magic Bites fell just a bit short of my expectations.

My biggest issue? The world building is absolute chaos.

We are thrown right into the action from the first chapter with no prior info to explain the scene happening before us. As we get further into the book, there is a massive amount of info dumped onto the pages. It was pure confusion trying to distinguish between The Order/The People/The Pack. Even after finishing the book I'm not 100% sure this is right but I think The Order consists of Knights/Mercenaries, The People are necromancers who control vampires, and The Pack includes the shape shifters.

Adding to the chaos is the pendulum that shifts the world between Tech and Magic. Kate has 2 vehicles; one uses regular gasoline, the other uses water and magic. If you're driving around in the gasoline car when magic flares... honey you gon be walking home because that car won't be moving anytime soon. Vice versa with the water car when Tech comes back up. Honestly it's a pretty cool idea but somewhere along the way my brain just shut down and did not understand what the hell was happening.

The characters are interesting though and definitely kept me glued to the pages. Kate is badass to the core. She's also pretty damn funny, I'll admit I've laughed out loud a few times when she's pushing people's buttons.

I'll definitely be picking up the next book in the series. I hear it gets better so I'm actually pretty excited. Fingers crossed we'll see some sparks fly between a certain two people..

waheela's review against another edition

The second time I've read this one... But to be honest I couldn't remember much of it.

It was still good.

Great world building. Characters are not too cliche and the main protagonist just avoid being a Mary Sue. She actually has flaws.

The reason it doesn't get 5 stars is that it was a bit uneven at times in regards to the plot and action of the characters. Sometimes it was like a deux ex machina experience with not much leading up to the action/plot believable. Not a deal breaker but enough to break my immersion in the story to go back and see if I've missed an important clue.

amylynn44's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

naturally's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark funny slow-paced

i can see why ilona andrews are considered two of the greats in urban fantasy - and this book isn't the best i've ever read. it was strong for a first book in an urban fantasy series, although it was extremely info-dumpy at times. the pace lagged quite often, meaning the last third was jam packed with action but the villain reveal was pretty underwhelming. magic bite's saving grace is that the worldbuilding is detailed, immaculate and so, so, so intriguing. along with fantasy, andrews incorporate horror and sci-fi elements seamlessly.

to say it plainly: kate daniels in a bad b*tch! i love her narration, her perspective and especially her one-liners. she's intelligent but still has her blind spots, and her mouth gets her into a lot of trouble. the side characters are just as vivid as our bada$$ heroine. curran is an a$$hole, yet i can't wait to see how he becomes a worthy partner for kate. i love slow burns; i'm already invested in this one. my only other point of criticism is that like many other female-led fantasy novels, kate appears to be lacking in female friendships other than her few correspondences with anna.

the world of kate daniels series in over 10 books long, so i don't doubt there will be ample opportunity for said relationships to develop. this is me, preparing for the long and entertaining ride ahead!

grimalkin_the_reading_witch's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious fast-paced

laci's review against another edition

Definitely a fun ride, and I intend do read more of the series.
My only reservation was about the plot structure - sometimes when it seemed the plot would stall, something arbitrary happened. But it wasn't that bad.

Ah, and the heroine, with her inability to stop spewing dumb jokes even when it gets her into trouble, is... ehm, quite relatable. 😇

minotaursmaze's review against another edition

3.5 interesting will continue the series and thankfully no love triangle in sight.