Jade Fire Gold, by June C.L. Tan

lidija_f's review

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

softboycafe's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny fast-paced

mersh's review

adventurous dark funny hopeful tense medium-paced

I enjoyed the Chinese lore
A type of YA fantasy that I enjoyed

It was a good read and either I had less cringe or no cringe at all

hm0ng's review against another edition

adventurous inspiring fast-paced

antzoudi's review against another edition

This wasn't bad, it was just... not that good.

It is clearly a YA novel, and while I can see that the author put some thought in her story and world-building, the plot in itself is rather simple, the attempts at writing political intrigue lack complexity and the characters feel a bit flat.

booklandish's review against another edition

A fast-paced YA adventure fantasy! While it lays on a foundation of classical YA tropes, I found this story super entertaining. The magic system immediately captured my attention and the characters were layered enough that I really got attached.

Bullet review:
- Elemental magic
- Chinese lore inspiration
- Interesting characters
- Fast-paced
- Quest trope
- Mythical creatures

A promising debut that stands on its own but could also be expanded with more stories in this world! I will keep an eye out for future releases by this author!

ilabooks's review against another edition

rating: 5 stars
THE EPILOGUE????? ARE WE JUST NOT GOING TO TALK ABOUT THE EPILOGUE???? all the thoughts i had for a review went POOF BC WTF!!!! anyways i really enjoyed this book. i loved the main characters AND the side characters so much. my only complaint is i wish we could’ve seen a little more of ahn and atlan together before they realized they had feelings for each other bc it felt the tiniest bit rushed. BUT other than that, the story was really good it kept my interest the entire time. and um??? i need the next book now??? how did the author just end it like that???

delialostlibrary0's review

adventurous emotional mysterious fast-paced

ENDINGNYA ITU LOH.
Ceritanya sendiri itu fine fine aja gk terlalu istimewa dan uwah
Kek karakter e aja yg terlalu melekat apa lagi side character.
Ceritanya kerasa ngebut banget dan gk mengembangkan karakternya kita membuang banyak waktu untuk pencarian tp setelah pedang e ditemukan rasanya semuanya go down hill kek sat set sat set tampah terasa penting dan kek endingnya mungkin bakal berkesan kalo fl bener bener mati dan ada konsekuensinya tp dpt plot armor permintaan dr Phoenix kerasa gk guna dan pertempuran a
Dgn Negera lain kerasa bisa dikembangkan tp gk.
Aku gk mau bicarain setiap karakter satu satu krn semua sama gk dalem one dimension semua bahkan main character hubungan mereka kayak b aja gk uwu atau gimana dan side couple terasa sebagai token aja sumpah.
Lieye satu satunya yg mungkin menarik krn aku jujur bingung dia ada di sisi mana dan dia kompeten.
Ok epilog nya adalah yg paling menarik end mereka gk bersama seutuhnya fine lah TAPI KEMBARAN ML TERNYATA MASIH HIDUP DAN TINGGAL DI UTARA SELAMA INI nah itu baru plot twist dan kerasa kek built up untuk sequel tp aku gk tau cerita apa lagi yg bisa dibuat dr dunia ini Krn terasa tuntas DAN APA MAKSUD DIA NGAMBIL HAKNYA TAHTA KAH TF APA MBAK
Dah sih itu doang

snortles's review

DNF'D at 33%... just cannot get into this one for some reason right now.

Edited 8/20/21: This would have been 4 stars but I was more than 50% into the story before I caught my hook. After that, things began falling into place. I recognize world building is important, which is entirely the first half of the book, but it was a slog for me. Removing the slow pacing for half the story, I was entertained afterward. And very excited to continue this story... what an epilogue!

teeslibrary's review