Jade Fire Gold, by June C.L. Tan

aaryaxlitt's review

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful lighthearted mysterious sad tense fast-paced

i absolutely loved this book. i fell in love with every character and the world it’s set in. there was a rollercoaster of emotion that i went through in this book and reading both ahn and altans perspective watching them both silently loving each other and not admitting it to the other out of fear that the other didn’t feel the same was so sweet. for the authors debut novel it was amazingly written. despite knowing it’s a stand-alone i would love the opportunity to see the characters again and their development and see the story carry on. also can i just add that the epilogue was amazing and i hope we learn more about it if there is ever another book. i love this authors writing and i cannot wait for them to write another book.

aprilcxz's review

adventurous emotional fast-paced

thebooktaurus's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

charly33's review

adventurous emotional medium-paced

indigo_han's review

Review to come.

lyricat's review

I was left a little disappointed after finishing Jade Fire Gold. While I was initially excited to read this as I'm drawn towards wuxia/xianxia-inspired fiction, it really fell flat for me. Both POV characters didn't have strong enough personalities to carry the book, and their relationship was underdeveloped and very insta-love. For me, that completely undermined Altan's distrust of the Life Stealer. It would have been a way more compelling romance if that was an actual obstacle that he had to overcome to love Ahn.

That being said, if there is a sequel, I will probably pick it up. This wasn't bad for a debut YA novel and I'd like to continue to see June C. L. Tan grow as an author!

apierlessbridge's review

I think this is a case of good book, wrong time. Definitely hoping to come back to this at some point...

maple_dove's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring tense fast-paced

Hmmmm....

I really liked this book but this book overall--wasn't for me.  After reading the sypnosis, I figured from the start it wouldn't become one of my favorites.  However, I still wanted to read it. 😊

I Liked:
  • The messiness of the main characters
  • Tai Shun (I just do)
  • SpoilerHow the Obsidian Sword and the White Jade sword turned out to be one-and-the-same.  It's like how good and evil aren't exactly two separate things
  • The slowwww burn
    Spoiler(Even at the end!  How Ahn was like, "I need time to think about it"!)

There was something that concerned me.

Read below

“Men are simple,”  she tells me in a conspiratorial tone after the waiter leaves with a self-satisfied smile on his face.  “Make a man feel like he’s your hero and he’ll do whatever you want.” (Pg. 308)

Like the main character in The (Un)Popular Vote by Jasper Sanchez, that kind of feminism throws transmasculine people under the bus.  Without acknowledging how masculinity harms males and nonbinary people too.

She's heard me rant enough times about how transmasculine people get thrown under the bus in this kind of totalizing discourse, where any and all masculinity must be sacrificed at the altar of entry-level Feminism, but I can't say anything now.  Any nuanced attempt to deconstruct toxic masculinity would be condemned as mansplaining.  Clary would snicker not all men before I got a full sentence out,  without a thought to how masculinity harms men and nonbinary people, too. (Pg. 117 - The (Un)Popular Vote by Jasper Sanchez)

ha_its_sarah's review against another edition

adventurous dark slow-paced

readwgauri's review

i had low expectations when i started reading and suffice to say it lived up to that.

the pitch is stunning, atla being one of my favourite shows, i was excited to see 'what if katara were the dark avatar & zuko was hunting her down in an empire on the brink of war?’ but the execution is done poorly.

—it starts off really well, i liked the character motivations introduced initially and the easy pacing in the first 1/3 or half of the book
—the writing is fairly simple to follow and the worldbuilding inspired by chinese myth/folklore is imbedded pretty well. the descriptions of the different settings and locations were spot on
—i love the side characters, tang wei, tai shun, leiye, and the relationships they have between themselves and the protagonists.

then the pacing starts to stumble and i lose interest in both ahn and altan because their thoughts seem to feel repetitive and i couldn't care less. i wouldn't have minded if the book went on a little longer if it meant giving a satisfying climax to the buildup rather than finishing it all off in a couple chapters. is it a standalone? or a series? especially with the ending, i'm confused here.
—the so called romance felt very bland, no tension no angst of supposedly being "enemies" so yeah
—i also didn't feel the urgency of a country being at war with others?? the political intrigue was just dumped and not handled with depth

overall, jade fire gold can be an interesting and enjoyable debut ya fantasy, if you're looking for a simple one but its simply not for me.

thank you harper collins and netgalley for the arc!