Origin, by Dan Brown

mouad_alami's review against another edition

This is by far the worst Dan Brown book. It follows the classic Langdon formula which I'm indifferent towards. The only issue I have with the formula is that you know from the get go that some characters are going to be 100% safe and work in collaboration with Robert.

My main problem with this book is how little author Dan Brown knows about what he's writing about. Be it artificial intelligence, quantum computers, deep web or even evolution, the glaring mistakes coupled with poor explanations interrupt my otherwise engaged reading snd totally ruins my immersion.

I thoroughly enjoyed the parts dealing with art, literature and symbolism as it is the author's forte.

I would still recommed this book for any fan of mystery/thriller as long as you don't mind a mix of "pop science" in there.

raylawler's review against another edition

I used to love Dan Brown books. Then I noticed they were very formulaic. With the last couple books I felt like the formula was actually what made his best work. I like that's he's branched out and I liked the twist at the end in this, but don't feel like it got enough explanation and seems like it glossed over a lot in my opinion.
I don't know if this has always been the case, but Langdon seemed very easily impressed by people and things that weren't all that impressive given the situation. There was much that felt overly predictable and the plot here never really pulled me in. The big announcement didn't feel as big as advertised and I was left a little disappointed by this book overall.
I don't know if my tastes are just changing or if this actually was just a worse book than Angels and Demons and DaVinci Code.

__dee__'s review against another edition

adventurous dark reflective medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

motionocean's review against another edition

I liked it. Codes, religion, history and a good story, typical for Dan Brown. I haven't finished a book in this tempo in ages. Great read. Yes, it was very similar to the other books about Robert Langdon, but it's been ages since i read them, so I don't mind.

wouter3659's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

imly's review against another edition

I would give this book 2.5/5, but since I can’t, I’m giving it two because I don’t think Dan Brown will suffer much :)

Spoilers below:

Pros-

It was gripping and fast paced

Cons-

It was predictable

This is his fifth book to wholly and unapologetically fail the Bechdel test (literally a line in the book where the only important female character talks about how a big strong man makes her feel feminine and young after a ton of men were intimidated by her being too pretty and tall)

Said woman actually finds herself attracted to Robert Langdon at the end who is I think at this point some twenty years older than her and also what is it with all these gorgeous women falling for him?? It’s getting OLD.

Edmond Kirsch is a billionaire and the end of the book is all overtly optimistic visions of the future and science and religion coming together and an age where everyone is fed and housed while ignoring the very real capability Kirsch has to solve this problem TODAY with his billions. I personally felt that was super sanctimonious.

And last but my least favourite — the CONSTANT adulation of Winston Churchill — a mass murderer and colonizer, complicit in the deaths of 3 million (likely more) south asians. It goes so far as to literally incluxe one of his quotes: “History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.” This quote goes beyond a slap in the face— it is Dan Brown spitting at the billions of colonized around the world who have suffered under dictators like Churchill, rubbing salt in the wound while we try to recover. Tying this in with Kirsch’s whole billionaire save-the-world irony, this is the most insulting and ignorant Dan Brown book so far.

All this to say — I want my ten dollars back.

The only reason this gets two and a half stars instead of zero or one, is because I will admit that Dan Brown knows how to write and how to captivate an audience, but it’s high time he caught up with the present day and checked his privilege.

amygeek's review against another edition

Fun, quick read. Upon reflection, there are several threads that make no sense & weren’t resolved (other than they made the story more dramatic). He spins quite a tale but you need to not think much about it afterwards which is unfortunate.

laurareadsbig's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

kathiggscoulthard's review against another edition

What an interesting read! Rarely do I find myself thinking so deeply about the ramifications of what fictional characters do. Intriguing. Can't really say much more without spoilers.

kboglola's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced