House of Sky and Breath, by Sarah J. Maas

herheadinherbook's review against another edition

I picked up HOSAB to read as COVID arrived in our house. For most of a week, all I could do was lie on the sofa and as crap as that was I thought “Well, at least I have an 800 page book from one of my favourite authors to keep me company”. I was really to love this book and walk around with my head half in a fae fantasy world like I did when I read ACOMAF. I don’t know if was my low mood as I was recovering but I just didn’t love most of the book.

It begins like the first Cresent City - with a wave of world building information that is at times confusing and overwhelming. There are at least two storylines within the plot which didn’t really add anything. It felt about 300 pages too long all in all and I think I felt that because I just don’t care about Bryce and Hunt like I do for Feyre and Rhys. Bryce irritates me. With a third of the book left to go, I felt like I would finish it to see what all the hype about the ending was as about, but I wasn’t going to rush to read the third book.

Past that point though, it got much better. I loved Ruhn and Ithan’s chapters. Loved the Day and Night encounters (and didn’t guess who Day was).

You will have seen the hype about the ending all over bookstagram and yes, Fae fans, it‘s as good as everyone says. It gave me a whole range of emotions and hope for book three. So yep, Sarah J Maas, you got me. I’ll be back for book three.

eligross's review

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious slow-paced

kersti_os's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

jessluthy's review

adventurous emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

sallythereadinggirl's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious fast-paced

bookwhore1's review

adventurous challenging emotional inspiring mysterious tense medium-paced

AGHDNDNDNND

rednikki's review

adventurous dark funny medium-paced

Holy cow, THAT ENDING! What a mic drop! It also explained certain things that had rubbed me the wrong way a little bit about this series. The only thing is that
Spoilermy mental casting for Rhys was Tom Ellis as Lucifer, and my mental casting for Ruhn was Tyler Johnston who plays Stewart on Letterkenny.
So obviously that will require some rethinking on my part!

roxxie's review against another edition

Review follows...

roxxie's review against another edition

What? Whaaaaat? I did not just listen to such a great story with such a fabulous ending... Okay, where is part 3 of this?

Full review will come asap, I read the hardcover editions in English and German... Because I need to read this with my own eyes and process these incredible turnarounds before saying anything else here.

juliaxnell's review against another edition

emotional sad medium-paced