ethanjackson's review against another edition

dnf it, not bad but not interesting and not enough queer

lucygoosey522's review against another edition

emotional sad tense medium-paced

sarahoza's review against another edition

I haven't cried in months. Thank you Mr. Alire Sáenz

freddybingsu's review against another edition

dark emotional inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

nivv342's review against another edition

More ppl should read this book ITS AMAZING!

jasminepatel003's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad slow-paced

This book isn’t something I would necessarily recommend because of the themes it covers but I thought it was beautifully written and a really interesting reflective perspective was taken throughout the novel. I loved the part that ethnicity, culture and language played in it. It explored a lot of social problems in depth through the eyes of a character who had experienced a lot of hardship and also the lasting mental impact they can leave on a person.
Spoiler I was really pleased that the ending was so positive especially after such an emotionally turbulent book and I found it fit the pace and style of the writing well
I wish i could read spanish so I could have understood the few fragments of it that were written in it.

jellolord's review against another edition

dark emotional sad medium-paced

mamareads's review against another edition

Excellent writing but the saddest effing story ever.

naomiharrison25's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective sad slow-paced

this book is beautiful. As much ugliness it contains it is still so beautiful. As Sáenz reader, his work never ceases to show the depths of the human heart with so much clarity. He is probably the only writer that makes me pray for his characters. I pray for their healing with tears streaming down my face, praying to a god Im not so sure I believe. But I pray for them and everyone who is like them, people with all that pain and all that love. I’d like to not as well that this is my third Sáenz novel and it is so interesting to see what matters to him through his themes. Thunderstorms, light, angry boys who are beautiful, men named sam who are also beautiful, hurting and healing and the world in between. And it is all beautiful. And it is all so real that it hurts me sometimes. Please read this man’s work. It might change your life. It changed mine.

british2197's review against another edition

I found it very difficult, keeping up with the different characters, as it wasn't clear at times whose perspective the story was from, until a substantial part of the way through. This was my first adult novel from Sàenz and it was boring at first until halfway through. I then felt myself empathising with André because of his harsh and difficult childhood. Grace was a character who seemed so realistic and who always tried to do what was best for her family. I just wish we got to spend more time with Sylvia and Vincente.