The Duke Heist by Erica Ridley

caitybell's review

This book was a fun read with an unruly, exuberant cast of characters. More diverse and inclusive than most Historical Romance tends to be, Erica Ridley has written the start to a series that promises lots of ridiculousness, heists, and soft romance.

I didn't find this book dark, even with a couple of backstories being bleak at times. It's a very light-hearted book with mostly unbelievable feats from each of the Wynchesters considering the time period, but the mismatched family of orphans is what truly makes the book so the incredulity is easily suspended.

Chloe infiltrates the townhouse of Duke Faircliffe in the search of her family's painting, stolen by his late father. She plays the helpless and uneducated lady asking the Duke for guidance to find a suitable husband, but really all she's looking for is the beloved art. Faircliffe is so easy to believe that she, an orphan adopted by a man with a title and therefore still beneath him in every way, is a helpless lamb. Forced to help her, he tries his best to guide her, but then his prejudices turn to affection and respect, with a large dose of humility. Chloe doesn't want to keep lying to him about who she truly is, but there's no chance at a future...

The romance between our h/H turned out to be enemies-to-lovers in only words. This romance is a slow and careful thing. In reality, this book was about finding a family more so than love. Scandalous at times, for sure, but respectful and tender overall. I expected an alpha Duke, but got a sensitive and careful man intent on making up for his father's crimes and willing to acknowledge his own mistakes. Chloe is a strong girl scared of being abandoned, loyal to her found-family of orphans. It was darling, these two coming together, along with some humorous moments woven throughout. It's a bit slow, overall, and a lot of time is given to the h/H's relationship developing, but with such a fun cast and easy writing, I recommend adding this one to your list!

haleymicheled's review

adventurous lighthearted medium-paced

bannedfrombookclub's review

lighthearted relaxing

womanwill's review

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

ericas_bookshelf's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

✨ SHE kidnaps HIM ✨

This was such a delight! I was hooked right away, but some of the middle dragged a bit. Overall, LOVED it and can’t wait to start book two!

shoversten's review

Ok this was beautiful

elmead's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

Lawrence, Duke of Faircliff, must rehabilitate the family reputation (and coffers) tarnished by his father. Faircliff offers Chloe, a member of the less than acceptable Winchester’s, a favor as a repayment for a misunderstanding they had. In executing this favor, Chloe and Faircliff grow closer and Chloe feels seen for the first time ever.

steph01924's review

3.5 stars but rounding to four because I'm feeling generous and I DID start and finish it in one night, so something obviously worked. I won't say the writing is the most punchy I've read, and it's definitely tropey when it comes to The Duke(tm) characterization, but I enjoyed the adopted siblings aspect and that they're all super kooky in their own weird ways and embrace it. It's fun and sweet and I'm curious to see how the other romance novels go for the siblings, as Chloe seems to be the most "normal" of the bunch. (They're all in their twenties but read kind of young to me, except for Chloe, so I'm curious how their romances will work.) I also want like three times more of SEEING their actual Robin Hood-y good deeds instead of just hearing about how they're "so wyld" and generous.

Again, the found family and how badly Lawrence wanted to be a part of the family was super cute. The romance parts were...good, not great. It was a bit insta-lovey like many romance novels but I was enjoying enough of everything else that it wasn't a deal-breaker.

It was interesting to read the novella so close to this because the novella makes Lawrence come off as a super-douche just ignoring them all literally to their faces, and it doesn't QUITE seem to fit with how the author is characterizing it all in this book, but...whatevs!

myloveshine's review