Reviews tagging 'Cursing'

Take a Hint, Dani Brown, by Talia Hibbert

meeklovestoread's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective sad medium-paced

Ms. Tailia Hibert has surprised me again. I read Get a Life, Chloe Brown and ended up loving and Take a Hint, Dani Brown exceeded my expectations. It did take me a couple pages to get into the groove of things but after that I was ultimately HOOKED!

I found Dani's struggles with romance to be so relatable because I struggled with it as well and I've never seen that representation depicted in romance books so to see it here really tugged at my heartstrings. Seeing Dani dealing with cognitive dissonance in terms of her aversion towards romantic relationships versus her feelings with Zafir was depicted so realistically that I felt every word. Which is why I felt like the "3rd act breakup" in this book was pretty reasonable.

Although I'm not too knowledgeable on what people with anxiety disorders go through I have read and learned about it previously and I feel like Talia depicted Zafir's anxiety with great care. I also like how normalized men's mental health is in this book. Zafir was very in touch with his emotions and never tried to hide his feelings.

I usually am not a big fan of the faking dating trope but she did it so well in this book that I had to love it. Their "relationship" was so beautiful. I love their interactions, their banter, the way they cared for one another, helped each other grow, and most importantly accepted each other for who they are. This book was breath of fresh air and I definitely recommend.

Note: there are spicy scenes in here so if that's not your thing I recommend skipping those scenes + plus there's a couple mentions of witchcraft in here I know certain people may not like to read such things due to religious reasons or whatever the case may be so that's something to keep in mind

tinkithesquirelll's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

anastasia_raf's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

missrosymaplemoth's review against another edition

relin's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

An absolutely swoon worthy love story with a cast of so many friends and family! It felt deep, rich and emotional and ever so lovely!

cerilouisereads's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

beca_reads's review

funny lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

I really enjoyed this book, and agree that this is better than get a life Chloe Brown. I felt a lot more connected to the characters this time round, I loved Danni, I found her super relatable and her sense of humour was immaculate. I also Love Zafir, I found the discussion around men's mental health refreshing and was well portrayed.
Danni is studying for her PHD, and Zafir works as security in her building. There is a fire drill and Danni is stuck inside. Zafir ends up carrying her out of the building, which leads to them going viral. Together they decide to try fake dating, naturally they catch feelings for each other and things start to get messy.
This book is the definition of the grumpy-sunshine troop, they are both loveable well rounded characters. I also liked the slight insight we had to Chloe and Eve's life.

readingthroughinfinity's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

I absolutely LOVED this as everyone said I would. Fake dating is my JAM and this was one of the best instances I've read; the gradual, slow realisation that they weren't faking their feelings and were actually falling in love with each other was EXQUISITE. Dani and Zaf were so sweet and so considerate of each other's emotions and needs. We love a romantic relationship built on mutual trust and respect.

I adored Dani and Zaf's interactions with each other and the writing in this book was so snappy, witty and fun. Talia Hibbert truly is a master of her craft. It was great to see bi rep front and center and I know I'm going to be thinking about this book for a long time. (The only thing I'm not sure about is the Muslim rep, so I'd recommend checking out own voices reviews about that.)

Content warnings for confinement, panic attacks, discussions of anxiety, depression, racism, biphobia, loss of a family member, fatphobia.

pia_h's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

mswarning's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced