Reviews tagging 'Mental illness'

Take a Hint, Dani Brown, by Talia Hibbert

chattie_the_mad_chatter's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective medium-paced

The first chapter I spent hysterically laughing the last chapter I spent a bit teary eyed.

My 2nd Talia Hibbert and again we have an adorable couple, healthy relationship based on communication and respect, brilliant chemistry and the bond of sisterly love is there to provide warm hugs and alot of teasing when needed.
One character has anxiety, both characters have things in their past they need to move forward from both handled sensitively. I always appreciate Talia Hibbert putting a note at the front of her books about topics covered that could affect readers.

This book is very sex positive, female body positive as well as being a fun read.

maximauve's review against another edition

funny hopeful fast-paced

tspice24's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

notsobinaryart's review

funny hopeful lighthearted reflective medium-paced

mjwhitlock18's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful

A fake-relationship romance between a chaotic bisexual feminist witchy  PhD student and a guarded, anxious, Muslim ex-rugby player/die-hard romantic. The sex scenes and sexual language continue to be a bit much for me, but I appreciate the witty banter and chemistry these two have, so I’ll overlook it.

ayah_reads's review against another edition

Gahhhh I feel bummed that I didn't enjoy this book that much in general and definitely nowhere near as much as I did with Get A Life, Chole Brown.

This also might potentially be 3 stars, I'm just torn cos it wasn't bad bad, but as I didn't really enjoy it that much idk if it should get 3 stars.

I think some of this is a "its not you, it's me" problem. I first this picked up after reading Austen for a semester and wanted a fun read for finals period, but coming from the subtlety of the Regency era and how Austen writes romantic relationship to this was just wayyyyy to much, like my eyes BURNED 🤣 Even just how the characters described each other had me dying a little 😭

However it was also more than that. I'd read Chole's book a year ago, but pretty much as soon as I started this one, the similarities jumped OUT. A similar relationship dynamic, similar emotional/internal blockages to actually being together, similar themes, yes there are differences but it honestly didn't feel THAT different.

So I put the book down and came back to it over a month later to audiobook the rest, and I guess I just wasn't at all invested in them. It was fun and cute to an extent, but I really just felt like I didn't care??? Especially about Dani's inner turmoil, like I get it but also I was just so eh ?? about it ?? Idk if it was the way it was written, that it was kinda repetitive, that it was obvious where it stemmed from yet she was so shook when her realisation hit ??? And then the final conflict was literally resolved into 2 chapters, like ??? Idk if this is a me thing and what I want from a romcom, but at the very least the conflict + resolution should have had a proper arc and been better written.

Overall, I love seeing BIPOC people in love and living their lives, so will always give so much kudos to Hibbert for centring that (especially seeing an interracial relationship where both are BIPOC!!), and I do love once again seeing how important mental health is in this book and for people (with an emphasis on men) to seek therapy. But I think I'll wait several years before I pick up Act Your Age, Eve Brown, orrrr might not read it at all, and maybe only read more of this author's work if the blurb really jumps out to me 😔

taylorgarcia's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted reflective relaxing medium-paced

such a perfect book I love this trilogy so much!!!

alainnwong's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

tinkithesquirelll's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

socialpsysteph's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

I really enjoyed the first book in this series and have heard such things about the trilogy as a whole, so I was really excited to pick this up. In the end, I may even like this one more than the first! I really liked Dani as a character and felt like I could really relate to her in several ways. Zaf is a wonderful character and I loved him and Dani together. As usual, the author handles mental health issues amazingly well and I love the representation that brings into these stories. If you want a fun romance that adds a little weight with some deeper topics, would definitely recommend this.

This book counts for Popsugar 2022 for a romance book by a BIPOC author.