Reviews tagging 'Racism'

Take a Hint, Dani Brown, by Talia Hibbert

taylorgarcia's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted reflective relaxing medium-paced

such a perfect book I love this trilogy so much!!!

toofondofbooks_'s review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted sad medium-paced

I loved this book *so* much. I love Dani Brown as a character, I love our leading man, Zafir (literally the sweetest and cutest man ever put on a page), and everything that happened within this romance felt earned and rewarding. The chemistry was so on point and the banter had me laughing on almost every page. Everyone told me that I was going to like this more than I liked Chloe Brown, and since Chloe Brown is one of my favorites of this year, I didn't really believe it, but I definitely love this one even more. This book also had excellent mental health representation that really meant a lot to me.

dalmavatai's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

Another steamy, emotional & funny instalment in the Brown Sisters series - which I have now officially finished! And this may just be my favorite of the series. I loved Dani & her academic background and interests, as a future sociologist I found her deeply relatable. I also ADORED Zaf and the way he openly talks about and addresses boys' mental health and goes against ideals of toxic masculinity, especially as he himself has been through trauma and has needed to embrace mental and emotional health in order to get better. I also loved his entire family and how close they all were, especially with his niece Fatima which was such a wholesome relationship 😭 Yet again this is not a 5🌟 for me because of the constant inner monologue of denial that Talia Hibbert's MC and LI seem to have to have in every one of her books ("No of course I don't love him!!!!! That would be crazy!!!!!" over and over again) as well as the fact that her third act conflicts always seem so unnecessary and her endings are a bit too cheesy for my taste. Regardless I loved the Brown Sisters trilogy and Take a Hint Dani Brown is my favorite of the series so am looking forward to more from this author 😊

btwnprintedpgs's review

emotional funny inspiring fast-paced

annahamburger's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

cemeterygay's review against another edition

emotional funny

I really like the way Talia Hibbert writes romance. I love the handling of the fake dating trope and watch each of the main protagonists grow both as individuals and in their relationship. I really loved the way grief and mental illness were handled and this was just generally a fun read with some more emotional moments.

I would add on as a note that the weird JKR references didn't land well, you could just not mention her especially when combined with the weird antisemitic conspiracy theory jokes in the book. Also the muslim rep is ... questionable to put it lightly.

readwithasherreid's review

emotional funny reflective fast-paced

Let me preface this by saying I love Talia Hibbert and the relationship she created in this book. However, I think people are recommending this book without properly giving warnings about it and that is absurd.
  • For starters, Talia Hibbert uses car accidents throughout this entire trilogy as a motivation for the characters' storylines without giving a content warning. I have not seen any reviews talking about this. As someone with car trauma, it took me by surprise and was very difficult to get through at points.
  • Let’s move on to the paragraph with the two antisemitic lines. “...He might be some lizard overlord wearing human skin. ….Dani didn’t have a problem with lizard overlords as long as they left her books alone.” This is the second time I’ve had to call out authors putting this antisemitic conspiracy theory into their books. It doesn’t matter that Hibbert called out another author’s antisemitism at the start of the book if she’s going to use an antisemitic conspiracy theory as the butt of the joke later on in the story.
  • Thirdly, Talia Hibbert has a very short scene in one of the early chapters where she calls out JKR’s antisemitism and racism. Which is fine! However, you cannot ‘call out’ an author and then spend the rest of the book dropping references to their most popular book series. Once again, there were no content warnings from any of the creators I follow discussing the JKR/HP references in this book.
DANI BROWN was set up to be my favorite in this trilogy. An interracial relationship (where neither of them is white!!), friends to lovers, fake dating. This had everything I could have wanted. I truly believe I loved Dani and Zaf’s dynamic and story better than Chloe and Red from book one! However, I cannot let all of the little problems pile up without mentioning them. I won’t have other readers blindsided by the content in this novel. I would still highly recommend this book and the entire trilogy! I would just like people to be aware that even the most talented writers make mistakes and they should always be reading and reviewing critically ESPECIALLY when it comes to media they love! You never know what harm you can cause by not acknowledging the issues in the media you consume.

CWs/Tws: Racism (minor), antisemitism, fatphobia (minor), car accident and death (past), Harry Potter/JKR references.

taroroot's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

i love books where the more you read the more the cover makes sense. Zaf and Dani were an adorable study in romance and i loved them so much. they're so funny and all of the side characters felt so real. i especially loved Jamal and Kiran and seeing Chloe, Eve, and Red was wonderful as well. the way both Zaf and Dani experienced anxiety and discussed it felt incredibly well done and i saw myself in these characters. can't wait for Eve's story <3

hellowildflower's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

coacklebee's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

My favorite part of this was the fact that the hero struggles with anxiety. I really enjoyed the lack of toxic masculinity :)

Her writing style isn't always my favorite, but I really enjoy the characters that Talia Hibbert creates and the relationship dynamics she explores. I will definitely be reading more!