Night Song, by Beverly Jenkins

booktothepointe's review

3.5 stars — great historical fiction, Personal preference, it’s hard for me to get into 19th century prairie stories; that said, these characters were intriguing as was their story in the part of history and racial elements included... thanks BJ for including such untold history in your book!

ylime620's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

Everyone should read this book. It's absolutely bonkers. Half sex scenes, a quarter western adventure story, and a quarter Black reconstruction history. I need a first edition NOW.

joedean's review

This one started a bit slow but 10% into it and I was hooked. Cara and Chase will stay with me for a longtime.

I’ve said this before but I wish I was good at writing reviews. Sadly not but what I can say about this book, is that representation in literature matters. Healthy black and realistic relationships do exist. Beverly Jenkins and so many other black authors have made it so abundantly clear. I just wish there was more exposure.

Beverly Jenkins has this amazing ability to write a perfect romance novel with all our favourite trimmings- handsome ML, gorgeous FL, steamy times,swoon-worthy love, etc- however what makes her books so unique, is her ability to incorporate unknown history to the plot. Romance+education= deadly combination. So excited to delve into more of her work.

Ps. her reference lists shows the amazing effort she puts into her research. I’ve never read any author like her before. Ms Bev is In the running to be my favourite author of all time.

elemomi's review

adventurous emotional medium-paced

aqtbenz's review against another edition

tayahmarie's review

adventurous emotional funny inspiring tense medium-paced

highschoolbookworm's review against another edition

C~8.5
A~8
W~8
P~6
I~8
L~7.5
E~10
Rating: 8
This was a great American historical romance. I was actually surprised by the amount of historical context included, which made the book more enjoyable since there was a deeper meaning. I loved the incorporation of Native Americans and the action at the end was pretty fun. The relationship between Cara and Chase was adorable, especially seeing how completely gone Chase was for her. However, I didn't really enjoy the plot that much and it barely kept me intrigued. I didn't care about Miles Sutton and the whole thing happening with Chase, and I wish there had been more focus on Cara's plot with her being a teacher and building the school, which was much more intriguing. The romance was so cute and had a good amount of steam as well, while artfully incorporating serious and important elements in regards to African American and Native American history. Loved it!

bookswithangeli's review against another edition

===========================================================
RATING: ⭐️⭐️
STEAM:

hannahecarey's review against another edition

Rating: 4.5

Highlights:
🌟 Beverly Jenkins always does such fun twists in her stories, it’s always fun to see how the story develops.
🌟I really enjoyed Cara as a heroine and I especially loved that she was the one who “saved the day”.
🌟I also really liked how Cara and Virginia went from enemies to friends, loved watching their friendship develop.
🌟Beverly Jenkins does such a fantastic job of blending history into her narratives, it’s one of my favorite things about her novels.
🌟And as always, the romance between Cara and Chase was sizzling!

alyssa_dorene's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful informative medium-paced