Peaces, by Helen Oyeyemi

lizabuzz's review

fantastically amorphous

pixxietrixxie's review

This was a weird book. I'm still not sure what I read. Usually I would have abandoned it but I got too far in to not continue to the end.

drewjameson's review

This is a beautifully written novel, but also one of the most baffling books I've ever read. I finished it this afternoon lying in the hammock, closed the book and said "Dude, what the fuck" across the yard.

maryquigley's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful mysterious tense fast-paced

You know when you get to the end of a book and you can't be sure really what has happened but you know you enjoyed it anyway? The central mystery of the story, who or what is Prem? Are you rendered imaginary if one person can't perceive you? Where is this train going anyway? Who are each of the passengers to themselves, and who are they to eachother, and most importantly, what is their connection to the mysterious Prem?

It's all very intriguing and obviously once you add a strong minded mongoose called Arpad the 30th into the mix you can't help but enjoy it. I loved Gingerbread and this is just as odd and wonderful!

bookish_arcadia's review

I love all the parts of this novel. The surrealism. The magical realism. The ornate train passing through unidentifiable destinations, full of bizarrely themed compartments. The semi-sentient mongooses and absurd, coincidental meetings. It’s a list of reasons to love Peaces. But I didn’t. I think the problem is the characters, Otto and Xavier the non-honeymooning honeymooners, Ava, Allegra, and Laura, the residents of the train on a quest to prove Ava’s sanity. The endlessly mysterious Prem who links them all. They’re all rather two-dimensional, pawns to the plot and setting that fail to capture the attention. The theme of visibility, of being seen or unseen by others runs through it but the thread leads nowhere, tangling and spiralling in a way that becomes dull and repetitive because the characters with the capacity to see or be seen have no purchase on the reader’s attention of feelings. The writing, as ever, is glittering and acrobatic but just wasn’t enough. I’m struck that the story could have beenba brilliant short story, or a novella, but they're just isn't enough substance for 250+ pages

cavine's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

ariellediaz1227's review

challenging dark mysterious tense slow-paced

This book was a slow ride up a roller coaster, straight down and than an immediate loop de loop. To the point where you don't even feel it till the end. This book reinforced my fear of being forgotten, and not being a huge character in the stories of my exes, and old friends (oops). The first half of the book I'll admit I did not see where it was going, I had so many assumptions of where it could go. The ending was so intriguing , and I replayed it like a movie in my mind. Like OH this all makes soo much sense now, but also it's so out there it makes no sense at all.  I enjoyed the mongoose story line, it was so unnecessary and bizarre. I am in love with Oyeyemi, and cannot wait to read more. (This was my second).

mouthoflethe's review

challenging dark mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

hhhhhggguu's review

Delightfully weird

stanzilla's review against another edition

challenging mysterious medium-paced

More accessible than „gingerbread“. Just embrace the weirdness and enjoy the ride.