They Threw Us Away, by Daniel Kraus

emel_wiss15's review

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

wondermajica's review

dark medium-paced

emdoux's review against another edition

I don't know how to rate or review this one. I really don't.

_reedmylife_'s review against another edition

dark informative reflective fast-paced

sarah5's review

A unique read! A middle grade horror / fantasy about teddies which are thrown away. This also has elements of dystopian. A quick read and well-written but I think I expected this to be even darker from the blurb and cover.

rachiiebookworm2710's review against another edition

DNF at 43% - I lost interest, and the poor teddies 😭

cre8tivebeauty's review

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

gerardine's review

They Threw us away is a book of endless suffering.
Buddy is a teddy bear who together with his three friends finds themselves trapped in a garbage dump. Together they will find adventures in order to find a child who will hug them and make them enter the forever sleep.
This was very sad to read is a mix of the movie Toy Story with Wes Anderson Isle of dogs.
Since it's the first book in a series, the ending left me wanting to know what was going to happen to Buddy and his friends. It's a sad story but it leaves you wondering that maybe Buddy and his friends will find the happiness and sleep they want so much.
In spite of that, I will wait to see what will happen in the next one.
3.5 stars
Thanks to Netgalley and Macmillan Children's Publishing Group for this ARC.

a_bookish_butterfly's review

Well, you know I couldn’t pass on a horrific teddy bear survivalist story!

Daniel Kraus, who often writes adult horror, switched gears effortlessly, capturing the necessary tone for a middle grade novel quite well. Despite its fluffiness, he managed to weave in some scary scenes that will thrill young fright seekers! I loved how supportive these teddy bears were toward each other as they faced frightening challenges in a quest for safety. They cared for each other and willingly made sacrifices to demonstrate that. The descriptive writing was well-constructed and vivid.

That wasn’t enough to fully captivate me, though, which could arguably be because I’m an “old” person. While I’ve adored many middle grade novels, this one didn’t quite hold my attention well all the way through, although it had a strong beginning. I imagine the target age group would find it more exciting.

My biggest issue with this story pertains to gender stereotypes. This could have easily been a male heroic story that still presented females in dignified ways, but it didn’t really feel that way. While some females had limited redeeming qualities, it stood out that they were dopey, superficial, unkind, deceitful, naive, needy, and/or disposable. Although there was some implication that a couple were brave, it seemed more clearly conveyed that the males were courageous, level-headed and wise. As far as positive attributes go, this felt imbalanced, and there was a subtle, problematic message within that.

If you consider this for your own kids, know that there are scenes that could be really upsetting for young readers. If your child isn’t a fan of scary books, don’t let the teddy bear theme misguide you. This is exactly what it claims to be - a teddy horror - and not every bear will make it out in one piece. Some of the imagery is graphic, even though it’s not a blood and guts type of story, and that may be difficult for some children to process.

The themes of supportive friendship and perseverance don’t necessarily outweigh the negatives, but they do provide something worth chewing on. I didn’t consider this to be an exceptional story and I won’t continue with the series, but I’m glad that I gave it a try!

m_lubbers's review

I picked it up because of a quote on the back "a macabre tale full of snuggles" and was immediately intrigued. I enjoyed it more coming at it from an adult perspective than I think I would have if I had read it at the age of the intended audience. Cause it was DARK. Like seriously dark. You think teddies will be cute, but holy hell. I think that if I would have read it as a kid it would have messed me up a bit.

There are some issues, especially regarding the inconsistent rules of the teddies sentience, and the widely differing representations and positive/negative personality traits of the female and male teddies. Which again makes me grateful to read it as an adult capable of recognizing these problems.

Overall, I did enjoy it a lot. I liked how dark it was, and how absolutely messed up it was. Looking forward to the next book.