The Right Swipe, by Alisha Rai

tayreneexo's review against another edition

Rhiannon is one of the most annoying characters I’ve ever read about. I would have much rather read a book about Samson and his post football life and dealing with his family trauma with a tiny subplot of romance. There were some cute moments but not enough to make me enjoy this book.

kgraham10's review against another edition

I want to like this but the dialog is wooden and the inner emotional life is stilted (eg "if he could feel anything, he would feel amused" or "if she wasn't angry, she would feel .... ). Because of this, I never really felt like I believed their relationship and I didn't even feel like I got much depth in her relationship with mom, brother, Katrin, or Lakshmi.

And, come on, if he is hesitant to commit to the Foundation Job or to Rhi, then it would be because he is afraid that he has CTE or will develop it!!! No mention of that ever.

globetrotta's review against another edition

emotional funny fast-paced

lianareadsblog's review against another edition

5 full stars

"I’m patient, Rhi. I’d like it if you could give me the benefit of the doubt, not jump to conclusions without hearing me out if you’re feeling nervous about me . . . but I will take you as you are, baggage and all. The flip side is, you have to take me as I am."

I just love this story full of powerful words and great characters.
Who doesn't want to protect their own heart and soul from heartbreak? Even when you found the perfect person for you that feels like a perfect match, you still have insecurities and doubts and not going fully on a relationship because you just don't feel safe, but when a perfect man that will always say and do the perfect things for you, acting very normal and always being honest about what he thinks and wants from you, of course you will give up and give in the moment to feel and find happiness along him.
“I’ll probably love you soon.” Warmth bloomed in her chest. “I’ll love you soon, too. And then it’s all over for you. I look out for the people I love even when they don’t look out for themselves.”

Perfect read for a perfect story about love that comes when you least expect.

a_ab's review against another edition

1.5* rounded up for good intentions - giving it the benefit of the doubt here.

Too much silliness and sex, not enough substance, but not for lack of trying. The author tried to be edgy and relevant by bringing up trending issues, but from the way she handled them, it is clear that it's just a marketing ploy.

Yes, raising awareness is important, yes, showing solidarity and support for the victims is important, but here it felt very fake and insincere. (I very much hope that the reason for such impression was the author not having any first hand experience with her subject matter. And I am not suggesting she was insincere, it's just the impression I got from the book.)

Unfortunately, with the edgy subjects not panning out the way they were intended, the book has nothing left to stand on. We have 2 characters in inexplicable insta-lust with each other. They act on it. Repeatedly. The end. Presumably a happy one, although I didn't quite get that impression either. I saw nothing drawing them together aside from the aforementioned lust.They are supposedly successful adults in their late 30s, but they behaved and thought like hormonal teenagers. I couldn't buy any of it.

The idea was good and noble and that's the reason I finished the book - I kept hoping that it would improve for the sake of the correct sentiments it expressed. But, unfortunately, the execution completely flopped for me. I am especially disappointed because I came to this after reading a polar opposite book: a very well written one with horrible sentiments and most toxic behaviors upheld and presented as good and normal.

I admit my current bias, but right now it seems like a very common dichotomy: either books with good ideas terribly written, or books well written, but rotten to the core. And all I want is a good well written book about a really solid healthy contemporary romantic relationship. At least one! Why is it so impossible to find?

krob41288's review against another edition

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an advance copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first book by Alisha Rai that I’ve read and it’s making me want to read her backlist. I loved the writing style and the diversity in this book. While the storyline wasn’t wholly original with other romance books coming out this year about women running dating apps, I did love the second chance romance and forced proximity in this book. Rhi and Samson were both characters who immediately came to life once I started the book and I couldn’t help being drawn into their story. I’m really looking forward to seeing how the rest of the characters we were introduced to in this book fare with the subsequent books in the series.

gondorgirl's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

majoki_'s review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring relaxing medium-paced

Omgggg 💖💖💖 I LOVED this book so much. It wasn't cheesy as ai thought it will be in the first few pages. I actually didn't like that Samson was too perfect, but in a way, I JUST WANT TO HUG HIM 😭😭💖
They're relationship was cutenand deep and emotional and I enjoyedntheir story a lot. This was my first Rai book but it won't be the last. Thank you for this gem!!!

lexywrites1's review against another edition

• Loveable characters? N/A

I thought that this book was good

kitwhelan's review against another edition

This book packs an emotional wallop! Our lovable leads are getting over past traumas, including an abusive relationship, and find emancipation and success and also each other. (Almost) the diversity and depth of Talia Hibbert, if slightly less sexy and with heavier themes. My only complaint is the lack of an epilogue, which was a sorely missed emotional closure. I can’t wait to read more from this author!