Victories Greater Than Death, by Charlie Jane Anders

snchard's review

This book was pretty fun, and it had fantastic LGBTQ+ rep. Sometimes it felt a little young for YA, like the circumstances were firmly YA but the writing was more middle grade. The audiobook was read by Hynden Walch, who was unexpected but wonderful for space opera narration and alien names.

readerpants's review

Well, I know at least four teens that I can recommend this to immediately. Late to the game but here now! Loved the queernormative universe, the fact that there was no intra-crew betrayal, the found family, and the quick pace (less for myself, more for rec purposes).

Heads up, ends on a cliffhanger!

jahooliaa's review

Full review on Nerds & Beyond: https://www.nerdsandbeyond.com/2021/04/16/book-review-victories-greater-than-death-by-charlie-jane-anders-is-an-enchanting-journey-through-space/

cindeereads's review against another edition

This book had a great concept it just was not executed all that well most of the characters were one dimensional and forgettable and the story got less interesting the further I got into it. The characters were ok not that interesting the MC Tina was the least one dimensional of the lot she was easy to understand being the clone of a dead alien and leaving earth to be safe and save people. The more characters that were introduced the less I cared if they lived or died none were interesting they were either bad stereo types or just dull one dimensional. Also the pronoun thing just annoyed me it became redundant by the end though this idea of putting ones pronouns in there in introductions will never be normal I have no idea why someone would even think it would be. The plot was ok it started out strong and just went downhill from there the story starts with Tina and her friend and her talking about the fact she is a clone of a dead alien hero and what that means after that they are attacked and go into space and other not interesting at all things. So overall I was not interested and will not be reading more when more books come out.

endlesstbr's review against another edition

I had a rough start with this as the audiobook is narrated by an incredibly talented voice actor who creates a very convincing 17-year old protagonist, and that's little bit annoying!

Moving further into the story and characters, I was able to recognize the incredible ability of the narrator, who was able to create and transition through truly unique characters seamlessly. I liked the exploration of Tina's identity and individuality, but am probably fulfilled with this story and don't feel compelled to pick up the sequel.

stubbornbones's review

Listen, I don't want my sci-fi to be overly gritty and this felt fun and realistic enough without losing the joy of "wow space" that makes the genre appealing. To those who wanted a more literary styling or found the narrator "cringey" I say: must a book be "good"? Is it not enough to have gays in space, scheming?

This book felt like an echo of being 15 and watching Doctor Who for the first time. And THAT, my friend, is serotonin I will TAKE.

avidnonfictionreader's review

oh my god this book was so bad. DNF- i tried. it was just so 2000s juvenile teenager written by a middle aged adult. plus, a monster described as something out of, and i quote, “fortnite”?! also, if a whole ass monster was trying to kill me i don’t think the first thing it would say was what it’s pronouns was.

katjonzz's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring sad tense slow-paced

emmaby's review against another edition

4.5 took a while to get into but such a fun read v excited to get the next book i love space gays

jeninmotion's review against another edition

adventurous inspiring fast-paced

Solid YA sci-fi, liked the way Anders found a reason for galactic conflict along with mystery, will likely read the sequel.