The Anthropocene Reviewed, by John Green

mostlyxdani_06's review

funny lighthearted reflective relaxing fast-paced

glitchedgod's review

The Anthropocene Reviewed… reviewed

John Green has certainly shown his chops in “The fault in our stars”, “Looking for Alaska” and “Turtles all the way down”. This book is no exception. Originally starting as a podcast of the same name, his familiar prose is comforting when needed and critical when necessary. He reviews aspects of our human dominated era in essay format (from Canada Geese, Dr. Pepper and the Indianapolis 500) and reveals his world views and internal crises while doing it.

This book has brought John Green from my teenage years forward into my adulthood. Exposing more of himself to the world and being so much more vulnerable than he ever has encourages us to think about our own lives and how we choose to spend the time we have.

Even though a familiar pattern of highs and lows emerges in the writing I still appreciate, and find comforting, the growth Green has gone through and the reflective musings he provides. You can review a sample essay from this book here: https://tinyurl.com/mr3zs3zn

I give this book a 4 out of 5 stars.

jessicagm's review

A cute, hopeful, and interesting collection of random little essays. I lost interest towards the end but I think that just reflects my own reading slump rather than the quality of the book.

myrthalita's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective slow-paced

magsnificentmils's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective slow-paced

singerscientist's review

Who reviews the reviewer? Eventually, me. Review to come.

kaitlinjohnson's review against another edition

emotional informative fast-paced

amielizabeth's review

He's a good writer and the book is unique in reviewing and rating "things" like Canadian Geese and air-conditioning, and I get the ironic critique about rating everything, but I'm not in the right frame of mind to finish this. Some funny essays and some depressing, but a little too depressing (e.g., the individual's role in climate change because of turning on the AC). It's also really difficult for me to read a book of essays but I wanted to try this one. I got to a certain point where it was a struggle to pick it back up.

book_case7's review against another edition

*The irony of rating this book on a 5 star system is not lost on me

anka's review

emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced