Reviews tagging 'Death'

The Anthropocene Reviewed, by John Green

hnagarne's review against another edition

hopeful informative reflective slow-paced

cadence99's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative medium-paced

John Green has done it again- I feel like this book did for me as an adult what TFIOS did for me as a young teen. John’s writing, in my experience, is always infused so strongly with both his existential dread, but also his strong optimism for the human race. It leaves me pensive, and is a thoroughly enjoyable experience as a reader.

I give The Anthropocene Reviewed five stars

mikaylawood's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

greeneyed_ives's review

emotional funny hopeful informative reflective fast-paced

alyssa_s10's review

informative inspiring relaxing medium-paced

A beautiful series of essays inspired by the good and the bad of life and humanity. I listened to the audio book which was read by the author. It was quite a good listened and each essay is interesting.

redrosemoth's review

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

mattiedancer's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

Note: I cannot possibly review John Green’s work in a way that doesn’t sound biased, which is natural as I am biased towards it. I’ve been a fan of him since before I knew he was an author, as I used to watch his YouTube series with his brother (called Vlogbrothers) regularly.

Writing: 5⭐️/5
I love John Green’s writing, so this is a very biased review on this part. His writing style is very similar to my inner monologue at times (or how I hope my inner monologue would sound if it were an outer monologue). It reads effortlessly and smoothly, with some simply gorgeous passages. The writing is both funny, poignant, and serious when necessary, but woven with a beautiful thread of hope.

Approach: 5⭐️/5
The book itself deals with a number of different human aspects: some are funny, others series, a few trivial, and others repulsive. And yet, Green approaches it in the most stunning ways. He is direct with the content when necessary and slightly evasive at other times, yet always with a frankness that respects the review-like structure.

Content: 5⭐️/5
It’s about life. The littlest and largest aspects of life itself. If you’re unfamiliar with the work or thing being reviewed, then Green does a wonderful job of breaking it down without patronizing the audience.

Post-Reading Rating:  5⭐️/5
I cried. I laughed. I wept. Expect it all.

Who Should Read This?